wiring a lighted Bachmann combination passenger/baggage car

Started by fatbob, September 05, 2011, 09:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatbob

Hi...I bought a Bachmann combo passenger/baggage car on ebay recently.  It came without couplers, trucks, or railings.  I've now got all that stuff installed and now would like to hook up the wiring so the lights will work from track power.  The car has a metal (brass/copper?) strip running down the inside of each side of the car and there is also a switch on the bottom of the car with one black wire running from it.  How do I get the power from the wheels to the switch to the lights on the ceiling of the car??  Do I need special pickup trucks?  I'm kinda at a loss here.

Thanks/Bob

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
The contacts go the the battery box under the car. The bulbs are powered by a 9 volt battery.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

fatbob

thanks for the comeback, but the car doesn't have a battery box and, since I'll be installing the track to run around the top of the wall of my shop, it won't be easy to turn the switch on and off.  That's why I was looking at track power for the car.  If I can't make it work that way, it won't be a showstopper...the passengers will just be in the dark a lot!!

Thanks again/Bob

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob,  Bachmann sells passenger cars with track powered lighting in several road names, except for the full baggage which has no lights at all.

Assuming you do not want to buy newer cars with this feature, you can buy wheel wipers possibly from Bachmann parts or service, or Aristo craft or LGB, which fit the Bachmann trucks. These rub on the metal wheels and have leads to connect to the wires mentioned by the Bachmann.  If your cars do not have metal wheels you will have to purchase them as well.
Since you  are going through all this trouble you may want to consider replacing the incandecent lights with longer lasting LED's instead.

Hope this helps a little.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

fatbob

Loco Bill...thanks so much for the answer...I think it's just what I was looking for.  Didn't even know the terminology.  Will look for "wheel wipers" and see about switching the bulbs to LED's.  For now, I just think I'm gonna put it together and get it on the tracks and let the passengers ride in the dark.  I've been in the dark most of my 66 years and it hasn't bothered me too much.

Thanks again/Bob

Sleeping Bear

Bob,
            Here is a link to some info that could be very helpful.  http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips5/pass_lighting_tips.html    You can also use 1/8-3/16 flat brass bar stock to make wheel wiper style pick ups......these tend to be a little noisy in my experience  http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_149&products_id=580  ....this will take you to Bachmann's battery powered light kit, and this will take you to a set of trucks w/ pickups on them  http://www.ebay.com/itm/BACHMANN-LGB-PASSENGER-POWER-PICKUP-CONVERSION-TRUCKS-/140601850456?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item20bc85fa58   things like this show up on eBay a lot.  Hope this helps.......later all.....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!