News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dimming headlights

Started by petervweimer, September 08, 2011, 04:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petervweimer

Hello all you much more technically gifted than me,

I own several On30 Bachmann Spectrum locos, the latest one a new sound equipped Porter (28203). It runs and sounds really fine, but I cannot find a simple (!!!) way to dim the very bright headlight. F7 as in the non-Spectrum Tsunamis does not work and F1 as directed in earlier Spectrum sound leaflets does not work either (both occupied by other pre-installed sounds). CVV 49 which seemed to me appropriate to try to configure it did not work, probably caused by my technical ignorance. Any help is welcome!!!

Thanks
Peter

JohnR

Bachmann has, in the past, remapped certain functions on their OEM'd Tsunamis.  I haven't had a chance to play with the new Porters, so I don't know if that hold true for them as well.  However, it might be worthwhile for you to pull a copy of their default CV settings from this website (I believe it's in the Part/Service documentation section).

Also, go to the SoundTraxx website and get the Steam User's Guide and Technical Reference docs.  Read up on CV 30.  That CV may lead to a resolution.

-John

petervweimer

Steam user's guide and technical reference were of no help because they seem to rely on aftermarket Tsunami defaults. On my On30 Shay and Climax (both factory-installed sounds) the dimming function is activated by F11 but this does not work with the Porter. Things are not made better by Bachmann issuing with the new Porters the "old" information leaflet saying that the dimming function is factory programmed at function button 1 (F1) which is it definitely not on my Bachmann Dynamis DCC control. Any help from Bachmann?

JohnR

Resetting the entire decoder to remap one function is a heavy handed way to do things.  Also, Bachmann may have specified the defaults to be something other that the open market TSU defaults. 

If you read the manuals on function remapping and understand what CV30 does, then you should have no problem changing anything you don't like in a TSU equipped Bachmann loco.

-John