News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 Prototype?

Started by BillD53A, September 08, 2011, 07:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillD53A

Is there a prototype for the 2-6-0?  I want to detail the cab.  I know what belongs in a loco cab but I would like to see the prototype.

ebtnut

There's been a thread on this when the model was first announced.  I think the consensus was that it most closely follows a Green Bay and Western loco, but is close to some New England road Moguls as well.  I believe there is a plan for the GB&W loco in the original Model Railroader Cyclopedia, Vol. 1, Steam Locomotives. 

ebtnut

OK, my bad.  I was thinking of the new HO Mogul just announced by Bachmann.  The On30 Mogul prototype is a Colorado and Southern loco.  Built by Brooks if memory serves.  You can probably do a Google search and find pics. 

Anubis

Hello hminky and others,

I have heard the type of stack on that loco referred to as a 'bear trap', unless I am mistaken, but I cannot see the significance of the long down pipe.

The mesh spark arrestor at top is clear, but what is all the rest of it?

Please forgive my 'down under' ignorance.....we had nothing even remotely like it here.

:)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

NMWTRR

I believe the down pipe helped to make sure the embers were placed near the track to prevent fires. Very unique solution and I think the only road that used these.

Also I think the On30 2 6 0 is slightly different than the C&S Moguls. The position of the steam dome, whistle, and bell are slightly different.

It is close enough for me as I use it as is for my C&S models in On 30.

BillD53A

The bear traps were cinder catchers.  They caught the cinders, gave them a moment to burn out and deposited them on the road bed.

Anubis

Quite unique.

Many thanks, fellas.

:D :D
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

ebtnut

The long pipe from the top of the bear trap did indeed hold the cinders that would otherwise be shot out the stack and maybe set fires along the R-O-W.  There is in fact a door on the bottom of the pipe.  The cinders collected in the pipe until the loco got to a location (usually a service area) where the cinders were dumped safely. 

NMWTRR

BillD,

Question not sure you ever found pictures of the cab of the C&S Mogul?

I dug around through some of my pics of the C&S 2 8 0 that is in Idaho Springs Colorado but did not have any showing much detail of the cab.

I have searched little on line but have not found anything.

Hope you found something to help you out.