News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Color Code for connecting DCC chips?

Started by talktowolves, September 03, 2011, 08:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talktowolves

He, does anyone have the Color Code for connecting DCC chips? I am building a Tin Chicken w/ho Ballast Car and want to run in dcc for lights/sound. Jim

NarrowMinded

Heres a link to NMRA standards

Blue is common +
White is front head light -
Yellow Rear light -

Purples are used for speaker wires. (atleast with the Tsunamies I use not sure if purple is standard for speakers.

http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/standards_rps/RP-9.1.1%20200801.pdf

NM-Jeff

NarrowMinded

What Hunt says is VERY true, don't depend on the colors wired to the locomotive components to match the decoder wires, follow the instructions and trace the wires to each item. I have found the wires coming from motors, smoke generators, headlights, etc. to have various colored wires, this is the reason I usually strip out all the factory wires and follow the decoders wiring diagram to hardwire in the decoder, it's a little more work then just spicing but I am happier with the end results.

I get the impression you need the colors so you can run the correct colors from the componets. to a not yet bought decoder.

NM-Jeff

talktowolves

Jeff, No, I have the decoder, but w/o the papers. Jim

NarrowMinded

There go my plans to open a physcic Hotline... :-\

Stevelewis

It is more  than likely  that  you will be  able  to access  the  info  you require  from  the   Decoder  manufacturers  website.  alternativley    advise  us  of the  decoder  type  and    I or  someone  else  will most  likely  have  the  paperwork and will be  able  to  advise! :)
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

ScottyB

Here's a pretty colored one I printed out and use while soldering...

http://www.mrdccu.com/curriculum/basics/ready.htm

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.