Found a Bachmann Large Scale Polar Express

Started by Postlux077, September 13, 2011, 12:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Postlux077

Hi All,
New to trains but loving this boxed set I picked up. The smoke doesn't work (original white bottle was still closed) tried it moments ago... 5 drops as the comic/instruction book directed.

Does the tender/coal box light up? it does not seem to work even when going backwards. I here it chugging and a short abrupt "blurp" comes out every once in a while like it's trying to toot. Forgive the lack of vocab.

I read the other posts on this model and am very impressed on the background and accumulated knowledge on this board.

Maintenance on YouTube for the 4-6-0 was very helpful. Do I need to purchase 4 types of lubricants or has this changed in recent years. Links to purchase are helpful.

Any help is appreciated.
Jae

Loco Bill Canelos

Jae,

The backup light on your locomotive is a dummy.  Your sound unit only does the chuff chuff sound no toot or bell.

As for the smoke double check that you have turned the smoke unit switch to the on position. It is located behind the little door on the front of the smoke box just below the headlight.  If the switch was left on without fluid in the stack the unit burns out quickly.   

Enjoy your new train!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Postlux077

Loco Bill!

Excited when I saw your response! I am so glad you answered my questions.

Any chance of finding more of the cars for this set? It's been tough luck.

What do you use to maintain your trains?

Are you in process of writing a book? I think you hinted at that on several places.

Wishing you the best!
Jae

Loco Bill Canelos

Jae,  you are most welcome.
Glad your questions were answered, here is more info:

The maintenance instructions are in the DVD or comic book instructions and that is what I follow.  I do put one drop of light oil on the ends of the axles on the freight and passenger cars. 

Introduced in 2000, The Polar Express was based on the classic children's book of the same name.  By the time the movie came out Bachmann was no longer licensed to use the Polar Express name, or box graphics.  As a result the set being out of production, became highly prized, bringing very high prices on Ebay.  A year after the movie was released, prices on Ebay were back down to about $275.00 to $300.00. The highest price sold I recorded was $800 while the movie was playing.   I do feel that the green and maroon passenger car colors are very classy.   If one considers Bachmann sets collectible, this would be a must have set.   This set was in the catalog from 2000 to 2002.   The locomotive in the set does have the latest smooth running version 5 chassis.  It is doubtful that this set will ever be introduced again.  None of the pieces in this set were ever available separately.  The original MSRP was $380.00 and the discount mail order hobby shop price was $175.00 back then.   The set still shows up ocasionally on Ebay usually around Christmas time, but it is rarely offered for sale. Probably a lot are in closets or attics or the trash.

The coach and observation car are the only cars made.  Bachmann never made a combine or full baggage car to go with this set.  If you can get another coach or find another observation car you could carefully renumber them or not.  The observation car could easily be converted to a coach by removing a few parts. 

prices are cheap again so keep looking.

Good luck in your hunt.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!