I was handed down a small collection of old Bachmann trains still in boxes...

Started by NattieBT, September 11, 2011, 05:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NattieBT

I was handed down a collection from my father, he was 65 when he passed & I never knew he had them. They're unused, unopened. I can't find a date on any of the boxes but I can tell they're old. Here's what it consists of... & it's all Bachmann.

Simplimatic Plug in wiring
Lighted Chessie System Locomotive
Over Under Blinking Bride tessle Set
Triangle Pacific
Chessie System b&o Wide Vision Caboose c3969
Dome Tank Car Amer. Cynamid
All Door Box Car Netherland Overseas
Power Pack UL Listed

I was actually trying to sell them on Craigslist & I recieved a call saying that they could be worth more than $100.00 (what I was selling it for) & I should do my research on this site before selling them.

So, I am inquiring if anyone knows how I can find out how much they'd be worth? Here's a picture of them:

jonathan

Nattie,

First, thank you all to pieces for posting a pic.  So many times folks log in once, ask how my their old set is worth, without a picture or complete description.  This is a treat.

That being said, I can't speak for all the equipment but a few of the items I have found for sale in the past.

1.  The blinking bridge, goes for around $12 at train shows and on ebay.  It's pretty cool.

2.  Old power packs go for $5-10 at hobby stores and train shows, depending on overall condition.

3.  The plastic cars have old style couplers and would take a bit of work to get running well by today's standards: worth perhaps a couple bucks each.

4.  The locomotive, while dated, could still be salvaged as a dummy locomotive (nice shell and popular road name).  If the locomotive has gearing on both sets of trucks (will not turn freely), that means all wheel drive and current pick up.  Could fetch as much as $20 if so.  If a starter set loco (four-wheel pick up and only one truck drives), you MIGHT get $5-10.

5.  Don't know about the track.  Is it steel or Nickel Silver?

These are very rough estimates.  You may be better off setting up the trains and having some fun with them.  I would.

Regards,

Jonathan

ACY

All the items together are actually worth about $40 to most people, I do not see anything worth more than $10-12 of all the items.

NarrowMinded

NattiBt,
The person who called you suffered from a common condition, "DTTB" Dusty Toy Train Box.

A lot people have an Idea that every TOY train or Model train (some hate the word toy) is worth a bundle.  there are some that are valuable so checking is a good thing to do. sorry the caller got your hopes up, but the postings above are correct.

NM-Jeff

NattieBT

You all have been very informative & I appreciate all your feedback, I have a much clearer idea now! Thank you!!