Please help identiffying a Locomotive

Started by ethiotrains, July 07, 2007, 03:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethiotrains

I bought a train set from an Estate Sale and I’m having trouble identifying it. It looks like the Anniversary Edition 4-6-0, but a bit different as far as parts. It comes in a big flat box that’s labeled Bachmann Big Hauler, Golden Classic Series, Sunset Route, South Pacific Coast and Limited Edition. It’s a 4-piece set: Locomotive (#21), Coal Tender (SPC), South Pacific Coast Observation Car (#41) and U.S. Mail Car (#17). I don’t see any catalog number anywhere on it or on the box and I don’t have the paper work for it. Since I don’t know any thing about it, I was hoping for someone to provide me with more information. Thank You

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ethiotrains

No Date. From what I've been reading, I think this Locomotive came out before Annie.

SteamGene

You might get more help on the LARGE forum.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

conradin

Ask the G folks.

I cannot find a set that contains what you describe.   The key are the passenger cars.  There is *no* South Pacific Coast Observation Car (#43), but there is one that is numbered 41.  Can you please check if you got the numbers right?

Since I have a catalog gap in 2004-2005, I do know that the passenger cars were made between 2001-2003.  The #21 Annie was made starting in 2003.

My guess is either 2004 or 2005.  I am taking an educated guess because the pattern of Bachmann's selling seemed to be that when they try to get rid of the rest of an old stock, they will package them into a set.  Since there is no such set in 2006, while in 2003 there is no such set either but the passenger cars were still in production, that means either it is 2004 or 2005.

ethiotrains

Hi Conradin,

You're right. It's South Pacific Coast Observation Car numbered 41 not 43. I've made the correction on the message board as well. But, I don't think the set is from 2004-05.

Lou

Stephen Warrington

:) This set came out in 1994. I got it for Christmas that year and was my first LS model trainset. So the Locomotive is way early for an ANNIE. I basically ran mine in the ground having fun with it.

Stephen

10 Big Haulers and 200 feet of handlaid rail later I still got it and the cars along with a old Royal Blue set.

glennk28

I would agree--1994-95--I have that set also, but replaced the loco with an SPC "Annie" when it came out--sometime prior to 2001.  My reference points to check the dates--the set--I ordered it from San Val in Southern Calif.--They had a major earthquake the next day--causing me to expect a delay in getting my set--which showed up a couple of days later--The change in loco--I sold the original loco at a meet I regularly attended before I retired--  some way of keeping track?  gj

conradin

I cannot locate it in either the 94 or the 95 catalog.  Not the Annie, not the tender, and not the passenger cars.  I find it strange because these items do not appear until 2001 catalog.

Perhaps I either need a G video catalog or some sort of Xmas catalog?  Do you think it is a one off production, and was brought back to be sold individually some seven years later?

the Bach-man

Dear Ethio,
The Golden Classic sets were produced in the early 90's for hobby shop sales. The ones I remember offhand are Milwaukee, SPC, C&S, UP, and the Fast Mail, based on a NYC train. They all used our 10 Wheeler and J&S cars, even those inspired by standard gauge trains.  All predate the "Annie".
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ethiotrains

Quote from: Stephen Warrington on July 07, 2007, 07:55:45 PM
:) This set came out in 1994. I got it for Christmas that year and was my first LS model trainset. So the Locomotive is way early for an ANNIE. I basically ran mine in the ground having fun with it.

Stephen

10 Big Haulers and 200 feet of handlaid rail later I still got it and the cars along with a old Royal Blue set.

Do you happen to have the instruction or description for it? Like what is has and its capabilities. I couldn’t find any information on the Web or at Bachmann.com.

ethiotrains

Quote from: the Bach-man on July 07, 2007, 11:16:43 PM
Dear Ethio,
The Golden Classic sets were produced in the early 90's for hobby shop sales. The ones I remember offhand are Milwaukee, SPC, C&S, UP, and the Fast Mail, based on a NYC train. They all used our 10 Wheeler and J&S cars, even those inspired by standard gauge trains.  All predate the "Annie".
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Do you know where I can get instruction, description or its capabilities? I couldn’t find any information on the Web or at Bachmann.com. I'm thankful for any info you can provide.

Stephen Warrington

My set came with the then common comic book style instruction book basically telling you how to add smoke fluid and the on off switch for the smoke unit located behind the smoke box door on the front of the engine. and the placement of the 9v battery in the tender for the sound. It came with a oval of Bachmann hollow steel track 4 straights and 8 curves plus a small weak transformer and a wire for connecting the power.

Stephen

ethiotrains