News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Paint Mixer

Started by captain1313, September 18, 2011, 01:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain1313

I thought I'd share this idea with you all.  Don't know if anyone else thought of this but me being the type of person who always looks for the easy way of doing things this works great.  When ever I had to mix those small bottles of paint there was always clumps of the pigment not mixed.  I tried a mixing wand on a cordless drill but only did a fair job not to mention the the paint wasted on the mixer.  (A real tight a..).  Then I thought about real paint mixers I've used at Home Depot.  I used old saw blades and my quick change cordless reciprocal  saw.  My god did it do a great job.  No clumps at all and only took 5 seconds.  Even on bottles that have sat a long time.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z395/captain1313/Paintmixer017.jpg
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z395/captain1313/Paintmixer018.jpg

Kevin

dave2-8-0

WOW !!!!!  Really great Idea....  Thanks so much...  I'll have mine made within the hour...
New Mexico Northern Rail Road

Doneldon

Cap-

There is a problem with shaking model paint: It puts lots of bubbles
into the paint and that can be a problem if the paint is used soon
after shaking.
                                                          -- D

Len

I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/Robart-Manufacturing-Paint-Shaker-Powered/dp/B0006O7M9Wl I picked up cheap at a train show. It works really well for mixing custom colors, and paint & thinner for the air brush. Can't say I've ever had any problems with air bubbles in the paint from using it. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Lesak17

I think the first thing would do is grind the teeth off the saw blades. then make sure to use a screw on lid on the container.  (Small one OK,  large one looking to make a mess.  Dale

Jim Banner

Taking Lesak17's idea one step further, how about running the toothless saw blade through a hole cut in the lid of a gallon paint can?  Then once the paint bottle is attached, you could put the lid onto its paint can.  If the paint bottle fails, all or at least most of the paint should stay in the paint can.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richg

Quote from: Doneldon on September 18, 2011, 10:01:24 PM
Cap-

There is a problem with shaking model paint: It puts lots of bubbles
into the paint and that can be a problem if the paint is used soon
after shaking.
                                                          -- D

That is usually the result of lack of knowledge about spray painting.

Rich

DWU

Everytime I open a new bottle I drop in 2 small machine scews or nuts or BBs,same as the ball in spray cans,as you shake it helps mix the paint,I havent had bubble issues YET!

Doneldon

DWU-

Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

-- D