News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco 'storage'

Started by vidguy069, September 18, 2011, 03:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vidguy069

I'm redoing my layout, AGAIN.  I'm adding the turntable (Bachmann's HO that I DCC'd) and was wondering the best way to store the locos.  On a piece of track, on some paper towels folded for cushioning, anywhere that's clean?  I would store them in their boxes but I don't have them.

Also, I could use some detailed track plans.  I've got about5.5 by 8.5 feet to work with and a good deal of track. 

vidguy069

richg

In a box with cushioning. Walmart has nice inexpensive plastic boxes. Dry room also.

http://www.thortrains.net/

Rich

vidguy069

richg;
I'm going to assume that he torage is wheels down.

As for the track plan, I've to to thor trains, caboose hobbies, etc.  There is an atlas plan 1050-HO23, I think.  I'm trying to get a parts list.  Any ideas on that kind of thing?

VidGuy069

Doneldon

vg69-

Wheels down is probably best but not absolutely mandatory,especially if the locos aren't to be stored for very long times. If you're just rotating locos on and off of your layout regularly it won't matter whether they're stored upright of not. It seems to me that locos stored on their sides are a little less likely to move around when the boxes are moved so I suggest that position for other than long-term storage. Use lint free and dust free cushioning materials. Be careful of plastics, at least in long-term storage. Some will stick to the locos' paint or leave an imprint.
                                                                                                                                    -- D

train guy

In a container with cushioning is best try putting it on somthing that won't randomly collaps ( shelf,week table ect. ).