News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC turnout issues

Started by tigerthelion, September 19, 2011, 08:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerthelion

I recently installed 7 dcc turnouts on my layout and programmed them all without issues. When I run my trains, all of a sudden some of the turnouts stop working. I had a few derails with larger locos heading into the "y" point of the turnout; I learned it was from uneven track and was fixed. Is it possible a loose connection or lack of power would cause them to not respond? It is usually the same turnouts that act this way, and it is the turnouts farthest from the power source. I have 9 dcc locos and 7 dcc turnouts... too much for the ez command system???

Jerrys HO

Tiger,

I believe you don't have enough power. With 9 loco's sitting on the track they are taking the power from you. You could try to take all your loco's but one off the track and see if that sort of fixes the problem. If your turnout's react better it may be time to add a booster. One other thing is adding track feeder's. I don't know how many you have now but it help's to have more than one or two.

Jerry

tigerthelion

I removed 4 locos, and at first thought my issue was resolved until I had a slight derail, and the turnouts stopped responding. However, hitting the stop button resets everything and all is well again. ALSO... is it possible that 6 axle locos would cause a short on dcc turnouts? HELP!!!

Jerrys HO

T

Are you using standard or numbered turnouts?
I run two six axle's and  no problem.
Jerry

sorry I realize you have DCC turnouts. No standard there.

tigerthelion

I am using bachmann dcc turnouts... right, left, #5 and #6... thanks for your help Jerry!

Jerrys HO

Tiger

Make sure the turnout's are level, I have noticed with the only DCC crossover I have, that the more loco's I have on track the point's don't fully open at times and I have to double throw the switch to get them fully open. All my other turnout's are not DCC and have them connected to separate power supply. Plan on replacing my DCC crossover also. I never had too many problem's with my turnout's and when I did I did a search on turnout derailing and found a bunch of good info to help me solve the issue. I also printed them for future reference. Try the search but keep checking in as other's will reply also with help.
Jerry

hawaiiho

I have had the same problem for some time.  I have found that certain Bachmann(only Bachmann) DCC locomotives cause the problem with only one particular turnout.

I only have three DCC turnouts and the only one effected is in one of three loops, so I am able to work around it fairly easily.

Jim Banner

I am wondering if you gentlemen use power buses under your layouts or do you rely on just the tracks to get power to the turnouts?  Solenoid type switch motors, DCC controlled or not, take a fair shot of current to throw the switches.  Without a power bus, they may not be getting all the power they need.  And the turnouts farthest away from the command station are the ones most likely to be affected.  Bottom line, I don't think it is a power problem so much as a power delivery problem. 

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

hawaiiho

Quote from: Jim Banner on September 20, 2011, 04:46:28 PM
I am wondering if you gentlemen use power buses under your layouts or do you rely on just the tracks to get power to the turnouts?  Solenoid type switch motors, DCC controlled or not, take a fair shot of current to throw the switches.  Without a power bus, they may not be getting all the power they need.  And the turnouts farthest away from the command station are the ones most likely to be affected.  Bottom line, I don't think it is a power problem so much as a power delivery problem. 

Jim

I am certain that my problem is not power related. I have worked over this for months. The problem is always resolved by removing a particular locomotive from that one loop. The loop that has the problem turnout in it.

Jim Banner

hawaiiho,

Is one of your other two DCC turnouts the same as the one giving you problems?  If so, have you tried swapping turnouts to see if the problem follows the turnout or stays in the same place with both turnouts?

Did that particular  Bachmann locomotive come with factory installed DCC or does it have an after market decoder?  If after market, what decoder?

Is the loop that has the turnout in it a return loop?  If so, is the turnout fed by the output of an automatic reverse module?

I apologize for all the questions, questions and more questions but this is an intriguing problem and one that I have not heard of before.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

hawaiiho

Quote from: Jim Banner on September 22, 2011, 10:17:30 PM
hawaiiho,

Is one of your other two DCC turnouts the same as the one giving you problems?  If so, have you tried swapping turnouts to see if the problem follows the turnout or stays in the same place with both turnouts?

No, it is left and the other two are right.

Did that particular  Bachmann locomotive come with factory installed DCC or does it have an after market decoder?  If after market, what decoder?

There are two of them, both with factory installed DCC.

Is the loop that has the turnout in it a return loop?  If so, is the turnout fed by the output of an automatic reverse module?

No, it is a turnout to a dead end siding.

I apologize for all the questions, questions and more questions but this is an intriguing problem and one that I have not heard of before.

Jim