News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Gp 40 shell compatability

Started by hotrainlover, September 21, 2011, 11:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

I have been given a OLD Bachmann gp40 that runs great.  I run DCC exclusively on my pike, and will need to convert it so.  It is not a good puller, and has the truck type horn hook couplers that all need replaced.  The problem is it is the single power truck type from 1980... something.  It had not been run, but and does work well.  I would like to just put the shell on a new DCC installed one, but need to know if it will work, before purchasing a undecorated one.  the loco has no number on the box.  No road number either.  (So cannot reference it!)  It is a "GOLD"  UP EMD GP-40.  It was part of a set that also was not used. 

I was not aware that the UP ever had any engines that were NOT painted in the Armour yellow. 

hotrainlover

Mr. Bachmann can you ask around and see if the shells are interchangeable? 
Thanks

Doneldon

htl-

Older shells can often be adapted to newer chassis. However, why not just buy the newer chassis with the shell you want? Then you can put a DCC decoder in your low power older loco and double head them when you need big muscle.

Do recognize that your older loco will never be the star of your roster. Short of a new motor, trucks for eight-wheel drive, gear trains and new couplers, your older loco will always have comparatively rough and anemic performance. It will also draw more current than a modern can motor. Which raises another option: Take the motor out of your loco so you can install a good sound decoder and then double head it with a new loco of a compatible type.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

hotrainlover

Don,
That would be a great option, except that the "Motor" is a single power truck.  The rear truck is for power pick-up only.  Just like the shell / paint scheme on this loco.
Will just keep my eyes peeled for a deal on a DCC-ON-Board one!

Doneldon

htl-

I know it is a single motor on truck unit. That's why I said it would never
be a star and why I suggested either putting the shell on a modern chassis
or turning it into a dummy with sound.
                                                                 -- D

the Bach-man

Dear HOTL,
It's likely that the shell will be adaptable, but probably the mounting screws will have to be modified.
Newer shells have better detail, so keep that in mind.
Have fun!
the Bach-man