News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Bachmann Spectrum ON30 0-4-2 Porter

Started by tomgschilling, September 21, 2011, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomgschilling

Can anyone provide advice/pictures of how to take this loco apart for a decoder replacement?  Thanks.            ....Tom

Bucksco

It comes with a SoundTraxx Tsunami - doesn't get any better than that.......

tomgschilling

Yes, I know, and this is going to sound kinda silly (not to say anything about the potential expense) but the OEM Soundtraxx Tsunami used in the Porter, doesn't have all the functions/features of a regular Tsunami.  The one I particularly like is the equalizer and it's missing.  I'm assuming there isn't a lot of room inside this loco and Bachmann was courageous to make both DCC and Sound available.  Hat's off.  But, I just want to see if I can't improve on the package a little by installing a standard Tsunami (and maybe a slightly larger speaker....nah, that's too much to hope for).   ...Tom

S. Calloway

I have run into this same issue with the ET&WNC ten wheelers. I have switched the "factory" decoder with an "over the shelf" Soundtrax decoder because fireman Fred and some other small things I like are not on the Bachmann decoders. The ET&WNC decoders offered by Sound trax has these features if bought seperately. Why? ???

Bucksco

The new Spectrum locos are now equipped with a full Tsunami sound decoder (this includes the new Porters).

S. Calloway

Thank you Yardmaster,  I need two more ten wheelers to finish my roster and that is welcome news. Thanks for all the 0n30 products. It has made narrow gauge affordable and loads of fun!

tomgschilling

Yardmaster,

You may be right.  I went to the standard Tsunami documentation and used the Equalizer instructions and the appropriate CV's to set the Equalizer on the Porters where I wanted them.

I guess the question is, then, if the Equalizer capability exists on the Porter OEM Tsunami, why isn't the capability mentioned in the documentation on the provided DVD.  Not only is there no mention of the Equalizer, but the list of CV's and their functions does not include the Equalizer CV's, 153 - to - 160.

I must be missing something.  My head is starting to hurt.  Thanks for your help.               ....Tom

Bucksco

Most likely we need to update the CD. Sorry for the confusion.

Broken Shay

Quote from: Yardmaster on September 22, 2011, 07:12:30 PM
The new Spectrum locos are now equipped with a full Tsunami sound decoder (this includes the new Porters).

This is great news,  I am looking to add  a "keep alive" capacitor to my 0-4-2 and have a couple emails out to Soundtraxx.

So if I understand this correctly the Tsunami that is in the new Porters is identical to say a TSU-1000?

Taking it one more step then the connections for a "keep alive" capacitor would be the same then?

Thank You
John

willis

broken shay,  did you find how/where to put your keep alive capacitor.
willis.

rich19

Hi

You're writing that you also want to change the speaker. Well, the porter doesn't use a speaker. Will be difficult to change, I guess....

Richard