News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"The Modern Era"

Started by richg, September 21, 2011, 07:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Yeah, I am bored.

Over the years, I see every so often I someone wanting rolling stock for the modern era.
What do we consider, The Modern Era in 2011?
Have fun.

Rich

Doneldon

Quote from: richg on September 21, 2011, 07:17:17 PM
What do we consider, The Modern Era in 2011?
Rich

rich-

Oh, I don't know. How about 2011?

-- D

Ken G Price

1995 or so until now? ???
It's like the many answers you get if asking when is the transition era. I would say 1945 to mid 50's. Maybe?
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

jonathan

Perhaps one's age is related to one's perspective of the 'modern' era.

Steam for major roads seems to have unofficially ended by 1960.  At least, it seems all the large steam locomotives were being turned to scrap by 1961.  Then I was born.  Missed the 'golden' era.  Darn.

So, in my mind anything from 1961 on I consider the modern era. 

Or perhaps the modern era relates to when locomotives and rolling stock became less artistic or creative.  Everything, to me, now looks like rolling rectangles and cylinders.  Still fun to watch, but it doesn't stir my soul.  No personality.

There's my two cents to cure you're boredom. :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Michigan Railfan

I consider the "modern era" as anywhere from 2000-2011. The 1990's, if I were to model that era, I would just simply call it "the 90's" (unless there's a certain year  ;)). Same goes for the rest of the decades, such as 80's, 70's, 60's, etc. Just my input  :)

ACY

Johnson Bar Jeff

After the creation of Amtrak and the Penn Central?

ebtnut

I think it is all really a matter of perspective.  For the 30-year olds out there, the modern era was proabably last week.  For those of us with a lot more grey, it's from the 1960's or so.  Me personally, I tend to think of the modern era as the time when the second-generation diesels began to rule, which would be around the mid-1970's. 

r0bert

My take on  the "Era" categories with some overlap

1) 19th century - pre 1900

2) steam -  1900 to end of WWII, diesels begin to arrive in late '30's

3) Transition - 1940's to mid '50's steam disappears as diesels take over

4) 1st Generation -  early '50's to early '60's  F units and early GP's rule the roost

5) 2nd generation -  early '60's to mid '70's GP 20 thru arrival of the dash 2s, also UP's bigger is better loco years

6)  Dash 2 era - formally the "modern" era, mid '70's thru late '90's, intro of dash 2  locos thru SD 60 and comfort cabs

7) Modern era (for now) - late '90's thru now, beginning with dash 8/9s, and other fuel efficient, environmentally friendly locos.

Jerrys HO

Rich,
All I can say is WOW. I thought this was going to be a "boring" topic but it seems to entertain me. Does that make me boring?
Modern era is any thing that started after I was born (62) till now.
I liked Jonathan's and rObert's replies

The best quote ever.... Or perhaps the modern era relates to when locomotives and rolling stock became less artistic or creative.  Everything, to me, now looks like rolling rectangles and cylinders.  Still fun to watch, but it doesn't stir my soul.  No personality.
also. Thanks Jonathan

Jerry

poliss

Modern era would be the locos made in carbon fibre jelly moulds (jello molds). No character. They look the same worldwide no matter what badge is stuck on them.

richg

Quote from: Jerrys HO on September 23, 2011, 08:26:37 PM
Rich,
All I can say is WOW. I thought this was going to be a "boring" topic but it seems to entertain me. Does that make me boring?
Modern era is any thing that started after I was born (62) till now.
I liked Jonathan's and rObert's replies

The best quote ever.... Or perhaps the modern era relates to when locomotives and rolling stock became less artistic or creative.  Everything, to me, now looks like rolling rectangles and cylinders.  Still fun to watch, but it doesn't stir my soul.  No personality.
also. Thanks Jonathan

Jerry

That was, "Tongue in Cheek" as I saw the discussion in another forum. It made me think of how  we repeat what we hear from others without checking what something means.
I have seen the term used quite a few years ago.

Rich