News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Clever Models buildings

Started by bwreno, November 24, 2007, 07:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwreno

Hi,   
Has anyone tried the Clever Models buildings??  Are they background only?  How do they compare to Paper Creek?  Or, is construction type different?

Thanx,   bob

r.cprmier

There was quite a write-up on them in this issue of MRC.  I haven't used thier product yet; Paper Creek makes the best cedar shingles i have as yet to see.  I recall Scott Mason telling me about them at Springfield this past winter, and five minutes later, walked right up to a display of them.  THey look every bit as good on ao roof as they do in your imagination.  Out fom my hand came money...

I make my own backdrops usually.  I just finished one of a large factory building-about 350 feet long (HO feet).  I used Railroad Graphics software to download the printed brick, concrete, weathered brick-concrete, as well as Don Tichy's windows.   This was my first large one, and it is inspiring me on technique, as well as expertise.  I want to get really good at this.  As a couple of the old salts (not me, of course...) have said, the concept of paper, Strathmore, Bristol board, et al are all ghosts from the dim past-until now.  With the technical advances in material texture,colour reproduction, etc, I believe the medium just may be poised for a comeback at least in the highly detailed backdrop area.
If you have access to any of the issues from thirty or so years ago, there is a bounty of material dealing with cardstock, and paper.  This time, with Don Tichy and Cliff Grandt's (past) castings in styrene, it is something else!

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

clevermod01

guess I'm responding a couple of years late but we are definitely not just for backgrounds. I was just at the O scale national this past weekend. I think or "First street" display proved that point. more then once you would see a modeler with his nose 6 inches away. Sure didn't hear any comments about backgrounds buildings. for the record i think Paper creek made a great kit wile they were around.

Thom