News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1:29 --> 1:20.3

Started by YellowHillsCentral, September 22, 2011, 08:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHillsCentral

How hard/what would I need to do to convert an Aristo Craft 2-8-8-2 to 1:20.3?

Sleeping Bear

Might be easier to to convert a Bachmann 2-6-6-2 to a 2-8-8-2......the body is at least close to the right scale....may need to lengthen the boiler a little.........I'm not sure ......but I think, for your Aristo convert, you'd need to narrow the driver spacing.....and your rail gauge....and install smaller drivers.......OR......scratch build a whole new boiler and cab.......OR........kit bash a new one out of Bachmann 2-6-6-2 parts..... In my opinion, it would be easier to fit the eight wheel driver motor blocks under the Bachmann unit.   I hope some one else gets in on this........and......I hope this helps........    Later All........    S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

mmiller

it all depends on how accurate a conversion you want to make...it is a lot less of a jump converting from 1:29 to 1:20.3 than 1:87 to 1:48 and people convert loco's from HO to On30 all the time

the major changes would be to the cab and the parts that don't vary much with the size of a loco...I would suspect a scratch build cab, some 1:20.3 detail parts like headlight, stack and domes, plus maybe a new tender shell and you should end up with a reasonable 1:20.3 loco
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

Kevin Strong

Sleeping Bear, I'm confused by your thought that you'd need to do anything to the drivers. You're not changing the gauge of the motor blocks, just the scale of everything that's above them. I'd think you'd want to build a new boiler and cab, since the details cast into the Aristo boiler are all 1:29, and modeled after a large prototype. Don't know how difficult that may be, but you could certainly use their boiler as a guide for building your own, or possibly use it and "wrap" a larger boiler over the top of it. That, a new cab, and tender, and you've got yourself a narrow gauge 2-8-8-2. Work? Sure. Worth it in the end? If you want a narrow gauge 2-8-8-2, it's worth every minute.

Later,

K

scottychaos

It could certaintly be done! although in the end it might look a bit weird for 1/20.3 scale..
IMO the main problem is that a 2-8-8-2 is simply too large, and especially *long* for 3-foot gauge..
but if you happen to have an Aristo mallet and want to cut it up, then go for it! :)

The hardest part IMO is that the Aristo 1/29 scale 2-8-8-2 is a model of a locomotive that is SOOO very "Standard Gauge"! and it has so many standard gauge features..you have to change all these features.
To do this conversion, you would really need to remove and completely replace with new parts:

the cab
the running boards
the smoke stack
the domes
the headlight
the pilot
and I would also re-do the smokebox front..

just for kicks I worked up a very crude "photoshop kitbash"

Thats a rough estimation! im not even the sure the cab and other details are the exact "right size"..I just eyeballed it..

Converting the Aristo mallet to 1/20.3 scale would be MUCH easier than attempting to convert the Bachmann 2-6-6-2 to a 2-8-8-2..Starting with the Aristo engine, you dont need to modify the running gear, motors, or boiler at all..you are only changing details..but converting the Bachmann loco to a different driver set would be much more difficult IMO..

and yes, as Kevin said, there is no need to regauge anything..the 1/29 scale Aristo standard gauge mallet and the 1/20.3 scale 3-foot gauge conversion built from it run on the same track..running gear can remain completely unmodified, which is really the easiest way to handle a kitbash like this..change everything except the wheels! ;)

Scot

Sleeping Bear

Kevin
          Looking back at what I wrote last night, I'm even a little confused.  I think I got a little carried away with the mind runnin. I think I Was thinking more along the lines of converting the Aristo(with its current body and Boiler) to a 3' narrow Gauge model as apposed to going from 1:29 to 1:20.3. Sorry for any confusion, sometimes get too many ideas running around in the head and been a little preoccupied with a plow project.   Hope this helps clear things up a little........Later All........S.B.

Dave

You are on to something good there Scot. I would remove the rear pony axle and move the cab forward over the rear driver axle. A Tender from a Mogul, and you've got a Model that Bachmann should have made instead of that Saddle Tank version. Just my two bobs worth.
                Dave

YellowHillsCentral

Thanks all! I am only starting out, but your all's help I'm getting closer and closer to building my dream railroad. (all I need is money)  :-[ With removing the rear axle it could be turned into somewhat close to the Rio Grande L-77. Distant cousin perhaps? Anyway I thank you for your help (and hope I kept your creative gears in tune) and hope that someday I will have 2-6-6-0s and 4-8-0s running around my basement/yard (or both!)

Thanks again
CJLM

ryeguyisme

Let me know what you're doing with the standard gauge 1:29 stuff you have leftover. I'm always look for large scale standard gauge parts  :P not trying to be rude or anything haha  :)

Prototypes for a narrow gauge 2-8-8-2 do exist but they were mostly Mexican or south American prototypes but they looked like they'd be right at home on a freelance narrow gauge layout

VirginiaCentral

Perhaps this is not totally off-topic, just slightly skewed a bit.  :)

Here is another man's approach to building a mallet (or a meyer as he calls it in the story).  http://www.the-ashpit.com/mik/mallet.htm

He didn't start with a 1:29 2-8-8-2, but he did do a bit of kitbashing to build a very attrative 2-4-4-2.

One could probably come up with enough Bachmann parts to build your own 2-4-4-2 or even a 2-6-6-2.  Sure, they might be availble comercially, but where's the fun in that?  :)

Anyway, I found the link enjoyable and I just wanted to share it.

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

YellowHillsCentral

I have thought about doing that actually. I just wanted to take a generic market engine that everyone (who knows the hobby) won't recognize when I'm done with it.

Sleeping Bear

Sitting here feeling a little stupid after that first post and thinking of train stuff.....it occurs to me that I may have seen a part or two that may be of help to you (for real this time).....if you don't mind a wood cab that is..... http://stores.ebay.com/Ohkwari-Sales/Large-Scale-/_i.html?_fsub=2659704017&_sid=652829177&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 and going by Scott's rendering this may be of help as well....http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_148&products_id=585 ....also available in silver..... there are also a couple different choices listed under 55 ton shay in the order parts /large scale section of parts and service listed above.... Later All.....S.B.