News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ho to ON30

Started by DWU, September 20, 2011, 08:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWU

Thoughts of converting HO Climax to On30 Climax.Can the third truck be removed?Is the speaker or any electronics in the rear tender? Id like just a two truck version.

ebtnut

FWIW, the 2-truck On30 Climax should still be available from some dealers or via the train shows.

DWU

Thanks,Im a custom builder,customer wants a smaller version of a Shay instead of the full size ON30 version,I think with a few minor changes it could be a SWEET little loco.I just gotta get some answers beforw I jump in with both feet.

richg

Just keep in mind the scale difference between HO and O scale.

Rich

DWU

I agree 100%.I recently converted a Bachman ON30 Shay to a Mich Cal,the hardest part was getting the headlight on the side AND working.I used a brass On3 as my guide.Although not an excact replica it came out pretty good.The boiler was the problem,it was much larger than the brass one.At this point nobody has answered my Question,is their electronics or the speaker in the rear tender on Bachmans Ho Shay or Climax?The customer is not all that concerened about DCC or sound which is leading me away from a Bachman unit because of price,I can maybe pick up a Ho scale brass Shay cheaper if I watch for one.

Doneldon

DWU-

I think the information you need will be in the schematics available on this site
under "Parts and Service." Good luck with your project.
                                                                                       -- D

DWU

Thanks Doneldon,I guess in plain words Im chicken,its way too much money to put out on a hunch it will work.I had a long talk with my customer and he once again told me he didnt need DCC or sound but reall wanted me to try this conversion for him.Ive done 4 different On30 Shays for him,so far so good.So I went hunting on Ebay,I stumbled on a new in the box Roundhouse RTR Shay,I again talked to my guy and we both decided for 95 bucks it was worth a shot!I have no idea how well these run,Ill soon find out cause its on its way!