News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder Install for Mehano 4-6-2

Started by Limey, September 23, 2011, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey

Hi friends,
                 I have been trying to find a web site that tells ( shows ) how to install a decoder in a Mehano 4-6-2 Pacific. Any one have any knowledge of such a site or any
suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.  Limey

richg

Quote from: Limey on September 23, 2011, 07:27:52 PM
Hi friends,
                 I have been trying to find a web site that tells ( shows ) how to install a decoder in a Mehano 4-6-2 Pacific. Any one have any knowledge of such a site or any
suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.  Limey

I can PM you but you have to uncover your email address. It bothers the Bachmann reps with too much about other brands of locos.

Rich

Jim Banner

Limey,

While florynow chooses to pay to have decoders installed, many of us do it ourselves and put the money we save toward a better decoder or another decoder or other model railroad stuff.  If you have never installed a decoder before and do not have the tools, you can often save enough on the first installation to pay for them.  About all you need are a small soldering iron (about 25 watts,) some fine, rosin core solder, some shrink tubing and a butane lighter with which to shrink it.  I assume you already have a small pair of needle nose pliers and a set of small screwdrivers.  You will need to know how to solder - if you do not already know, this and similar articles will help:
http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/TechNotes/soldering.html

I see Rich has kindly offered instructions.  I am not sure what decoder he used, but after having problems with six wires between the tender and locomotive tending to derail one or the other, the next one of these I do will use a Digitrax DZ125 decoder in the cab to cut the number of wires to two or three.  And in return for the extra cost, it will also give me BEMF control for improved low speed performance.

Jim

Jim   

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Barney R

Limey,
I have done three of these types of conversions on older 4-6-2 Loco's. The first thing that I had to do was to isolate the motor from the frame. I installed the decoder and speakers in the tender and used a TCS in line connector JST6 between the locomotive and tender. That connector allows you to disconnect the tender from the Locomotive as often as you like. If you would like to contact me via email, please do so.

Barney

the Bach-man

Dear Rich,
Go ahead and post the link. What we object to is using our site to link to or make competitors' announcements, saying "Don't buy this, buy that", or bashing competitors' products where they can't respond.  Installing a decoder in a Mehano pacific will help folks who may want to use the skills on our locos, too.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Limey

Hi Rich,
             I would uncover my E mail address if I only new how, I am not very computer literate unfortunately.
            I did notice that The Bachmann has said it was O.K. for you to put on the site your "How To " info. So could you please help an olden out and do so.

Thanks, Limey.

BTW. I just got Bachmann 2-10-2 Seaboard with sound,   Wow what a difference the 21st. century makes.

richg

Ok, lost track of this thread and I have to find the link. I did not think it would be allowed.

Rich

Geared Steam

Quote from: florynow on September 24, 2011, 05:58:46 PM
I pay people to do stuff like that.  It doesn't cost that much and you know it will come out right.

PF

It's a good thing there are plenty of us that are capable of helping you, otherwise you would be taking up crochet.  ::)

Jim Banner

Quote from: Geared Steam on October 26, 2011, 08:15:03 PM

It's a good thing there are plenty of us that are capable of helping you, otherwise you would be taking up crochet.  ::)

Now there is a project for you.  Crocheting a locomotive out of steel wool.

On the more serious side, consider adding tender pickups if your version of the Mehanno Pacific does not have them.  Adding a bit of weight to the tender would help too, but don't over do it as these locomotives, at least the older ones I have, are not overly strong in the pulling department.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Limey

Thanks Jim Banner,
                                I think that's just about the only way I can go, I have already got the wiring connections to go from tender to loco, I have to make up the axle pickups for the tender and change the wheels.  When I first posted this thread I was trying to avoid any pitfalls when opening up the loco, I realise the pickups are on the loco at this time but how do I isolate the motor when I change to tender pickups.  I think richg has done this before and he offered to pass on his knowledge, for which I am most grateful.  I see no purpose in trying to re-invent the wheel and at my advanced years I am still eager to learn from others with humility.

BTW.  Geared Steam I already can crochet, cook, fly an airplane, drive a semi and navigate a ship.  I just don't know how to properly install a decoder in a Mehano 4-6-2 but I am willing to learn from others and say thank you to them.

Limey.

richg

Hi Limey

Ok, now you have included a lot more info about what you want to do.
I cannot find the link I had.

No mention if the loco is DCC ready or an older version. Mehano I think made locos for two other brands.

Did you measure the DC current at 12 vdc with slight pressure on the drivers? I do not like stopping the drivers as this can damage plastic or fibre worm gear that is on the driver axle.
Most decoders have a 1 amp max. Some are good to 1.5 amp. You have to check the site for the decoder specs.

Open the loco and look at the two motor terminals. In many locos, one wire connects to the frame. The drivers on one side are connected to the frame via the axle.
The other side of the motor will be connected to a wire that comes from the tender wheel pickups.

Some locos like the Bachmann, each motor lead connects to a frame half and the drivers feed power to each frame half.
Some have damaged decoders becasue they did not remove a wire or they where in a hurry and left a decoder wire uninsulated. We are still kids and want to run our trains, ASAP.

Bottom line, the majority of locos, you have to take the shell off the loco and tender.

Do you have a pencil type soldering iron and know how to solder?

A photo of the loco could be nice. I cannot picture what it looks like as I am not familiar with Mehano locos.

Below is a link I have used for all wheel tender pickup.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

Rich

Limey

Thanks Rich, this looks like a good site for the tender conversion.

I will try and learn how to send you a pic. of the Mehano 4.6.2 Pacific. In the mean time in answer to your questions, there is very little information with the model but I am pretty sure is of recent origin but not DCC ready.
     I haven't done the current draw test yet.
     I do have a pencil soldering iron and have done several decoder installs on other makes with success.
      I am hoping to get back to my modeling in the next week or two having taken a break for the summer to help a friend build and wire his new house. I will keep you posted on my success ( or failure ) with the Mehano.  Thanks again for your assistance.

Limey.

richg

That is great. Glad to see you have some experience in this. That will make it easier, ok, for various values of easy. If the motor current is below 1 amp, there should be no problem with this install. It did not come up, lighting current is part of the max current for a decoder along with motor current.
Current draw, type of lighting and pickups are important.
Including sound can be a different issue, usually speaker location and baffle capabilities. I know, you did not mention sound but sometimes the desire for sound by some does pop up.

Rich

Geared Steam

Quote from: Limey on October 27, 2011, 10:01:39 AM
BTW.  Geared Steam I already can crochet, cook, fly an airplane, drive a semi and navigate a ship.  I just don't know how to properly install a decoder in a Mehano 4-6-2 but I am willing to learn from others and say thank you to them.
Limey.

Limey
My post wasn't directed at you, it was directed at flory.

Doneldon

Quote from: Geared Steam on October 29, 2011, 10:59:56 PM

My post wasn't directed at you, it was directed at flory.

Well. That's a relief. But why are you "directing" anything at anybody??

-- D