so what railroad is everybody modeling? me the D&RGW

Started by ForThemPanzerz, September 26, 2011, 06:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForThemPanzerz

Forumfield

jettrainfan

I'm having a little freelance fun! I model the Lakewood & Winterton Railroad, basically a person buys the Ex. NKP line that runs through Bellevue to Cleveland Ohio. The line does interchange with Norfolk Southern and CV&WS (another fictional railroad that is a club i go to). Power is pretty funny... some how the person gets stuck with older power, and a couple of steam engines... can a railroad work with those locomotives? Well, I've been running it for about 4 years now, so i guess it can!  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

ForThemPanzerz

neat. i am making hopefully a Jerome & Southwestern railroad but it will be based on a freelanced D&RGW on one of its mining branches and i will also include a short line railroad that is owned by a larger mining company that hauls ore from its mine/stamp mill to the D&RGW mainline. :D
Forumfield

train guy

I model a freelanced railroad, in the transition era, at Pittsburgh, pa. I hope to expand to B&O's sandpatch grade soon. The "Union & Western Maryland railway"is it's name.

Hamish K

A freelanced Australian 30 inch gauge  narrow gauge railway (in ON30). Some ideas have been taken from real life Australian lines, in particular the Mapleton (2 foot gauge) and Buderim (30 inch gauge) tramways in Queenlasnd and the Victorian 30 inch gauge lines. Both the Buderim and Mapleton tramways had Shays, and used them on mixed passenger and freight trains, and even excursion passenger trains. I do this! My line is however very much freelance and in no way a model of any of these lines.

Hamish

ForThemPanzerz

Quote from: Hamish K on September 26, 2011, 08:43:37 PM
A freelanced Australian 30 inch gauge  narrow gauge railway (in ON30). Some ideas have been taken from real life Australian lines, in particular the Mapleton (2 foot gauge) and Buderim (30 inch gauge) tramways in Queenlasnd and the Victorian 30 inch gauge lines. Both the Buderim and Mapleton tramways had Shays, and used them on mixed passenger and freight trains, and even excursion passenger trains. I do this! My line is however very much freelance and in no way a model of any of these lines.

Hamish
that sounds very interesting besides shays what style/builder engines do they use in australia?
Forumfield

ForThemPanzerz

Quote from: train guy on September 26, 2011, 08:40:17 PM
I model a freelanced railroad, in the transition era, at Pittsburgh, pa. I hope to expand to B&O's sandpatch grade soon. The "Union & Western Maryland railway"is it's name.
sounds neet to. what is the B&O sandpatch grade?
Forumfield

train guy

The B&O sand patch grade is Pittsburgh to cumberland (aprox 100 miles) up to sand patch summit near sandpatch tunnel. And is the BEST place to watch trains. It is the B&O's original line. It is near myersdale pa and its Centenial is coming up.

Doneldon

A freelanced North-South connector railroad which interchanges with the UP,
D&RGW, ATSF and SP. The UP and SP are represented by staging yards only.
The D&RGW runs around an upper level and the Santa Fe does the same on
the lower level.

ForThemPanzerz

cool. what era is it? because soon i will model the D&RGW and does it take place in colorado or new mexico?
Forumfield

Hamish K

[/quote] that sounds very interesting besides shays what style/builder engines do they use in australia?
[/quote]

I huge question - a few brief generalisations follow.
In the steam era most locos were probably of British style, some imported., others built by various Australian makers. However some USA style locos also existed., both imported from various makers including Baldwin and Alco and also made locally.. There were also some German and other European locos, especially on narrow gauges ( a few 2  foot gauge Krauss locos came to Australia for example). By USA standards Australian locos were generally small. Articulated locos were Garratts, the only Mallets were 3 small German 2 foot gauge 0-4-4-0s. A relatively small number of American geared locos came to Australia, as well as Shays there were some Climaxes, but no Heislers.
Diesels are generally American export model locos, from all the main makers. Quite often they are manufactured  under licence by Australian makers. Exceptions exist, of course.

I hope this helps
Hamish

Hamish.,

charlii

(Ma and Pa), Maryland and Pennsylvania RR pre 1925.

ForThemPanzerz

neet i always thought the ma & pa was the Missouri and pacific but thanks for clearing that up.
Forumfield

train guy

The "mopac"is in the midwest.
The ma and pa ,in the east.

Doneldon

shay-man-

Just before the Germans invaded Poland in September, 1939.

tg-

I think he thought ma and pa were the abbreviations for Missouri and Pacific.

-- D