New Alco 2-6-0, product number 51701

Started by Pat H, September 22, 2011, 01:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat H

I was interested in this engine, so looked at the listing. Bachmann product number 51701 is for the 2-6-0 in PRR markings and carries engine number 3234.  That is curious since the Bachmann product number 50645, USRA 0-6-0 carries exactly the same engine number 3234.  What's the explaination for both engines having the same number? Both were in service at the same time.  Thanks,  Pat H.

rogertra

Probably same numbers because neither are models of a locomotive the PRR owned .  Very common practice in the model railroad industry.  Market the same loco under various road names even if the railroads named never owned any of that particular locomotive.

Same goes for passenger cars, freight cars, cabooses etc., etc..

RAM

The picture that I have of the AT&SF mogul looks just like the model.  I do not know if they have the same drive size or not. 

RAM

I found a picture of PRR # 8832 2-6-0 looks just like

I found a picture of PRR 8832.  The picture was taken in 1921 at St Louis, Mo.  It looked like it could have started out looking just like the Bachmann model.  However by 1921 it had been updated and had the headlight in the center of the smoke box. Different cylinders and value gear.  It also did not have the round drums (what ever they  are) under the cab.  The picture is in the Denver Public Library collection.

ebtnut

Just as and FYI, those "round drums" are air reserviors for the brake system.  Most roads had the air tanks mounted under the running boards.  The Pennsy, as with at lot of other things, had its own ideas.