News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann On30 2-6-6-2 CV settings

Started by shay_engineer, June 21, 2012, 10:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shay_engineer

I just recieved a new Bachmann On30 2-6-6-2 engine. It's a great engine, except that when powering it up with my MRC Prodigy Express controller, it doesn't move until I get to speed step #8. Isn't this a bit too high before startup? I'd like to run it in a consist with my 2-8-0 Connie, but can't until I can get it to start crawling at #1 or #2, like the Connie, Shay and Climax does. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks....Jim
PS......From what I can see, there is the main board with a 21 pin PC Board attached, then an 8 pin wiring connector attached to the 21 pin board. This is differant then my neighbors Bachmann 2-6-6-2, as he has a main board with the 8 pin DCC connector only, and it crawls on notch 1. Could this newer style board be messed up from the factory? I'm about to tear out everything and hardwire it the old way with a regular Tsunami articulated DCC modual, but am trying to save some money.

Steve Magee

Trying to read between the lines, it appears you do not have a sound decoder installed, or does it come equipped with the Bachmann OEM Tsunami fitted?

Either way, there are some CV settings you can try, or even better, find somebody with a DCC system that has Decoder Pro attached. (Cannot understand why MRC does not support this). Look at CV2 (start voltage) for a start, reduce it to zero and then work up from there. With decoder pro available, try setting a new speed curve with a "flatter" curve at the bottom end of the speed range. There are log curves that offer this for most decoders.  If you have an OEM Tsunami fitted, I suggest you go to http://mrdccu.com/clinics/ and click on getting the most from your Tsunami.

I have a caveat about the 21-pin board, as mine is equipped with it. To try it out I purchased a Zimo 21 pin decoder with Uintah 2-6-6-2 sound files installed, and when I installed it and turned on the power, the factory smoke escaped with a large flash of light. I am waiting for the decoder to be replaced. In the interim the original QSI Universal V7 has been reinstalled, but I may yet try a  QSI Titan in it, as I am very impressed with the Titan I have in my outside frame 4-4-0.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

shay_engineer

Thanks Steve,
   I managed to play with the CV 2 settings. Factory default is zero. I had to go to the max (32) before it began moving on throttle notch 1 of the 28 speedstep setting (now takes 1 minute to travel 1 inch). Can't understand though, why the factory default setting of CV 2 would be set to where it needs such a high throttle to get it to work. But at least now it starts at a decent setting and runs with my other locos. On the other hand....when I attach the tender from the 2-8-0 to the articulated, the old DCC/Tsunami sound system works super. In fact, it works a lot better then that 21 pin system Bachmann is now using (Bachmann...please don't "Improve" what already works great"! I appreciate your help.   Jim