News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Forney rail sizes

Started by oldline1, July 08, 2007, 05:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldline1

I'm thinking of doing some On30 modeling using the Forney with outside frame. Will it run on code 55 or 70 rail?

Thanks,
Roger

Charlie Mutschler

Roger, I have used code 70 rail in On3, and it looks good.  I think it comes out close to the height of 30 to 35 pound rail, which is typical of that used on a lot of early narrow gauge lines.     I think code 55 would be very light - possibly scaling out to a height appropriate for 18 - 20 pound rail.  That is a weight of rail used on light mine tramways, but is probably too light for most steam worked lines.  Though Bachmann's model of the tiny Porter 0-4-0T would be quite at home on such light rail.  If it was my layout, I would use code 70 rail for my track for use with the Forney.  In any case, use what you think is appropriate, because it is your railroad.  Happy modeling. 

Woody Elmore

I have seen On3 modules that have code 55 rail for sidings. The track was soldered to pc board ties. The engineer gets "slow" orders for any move on that siding!

NelsOn-30

Roger,

I have found that since I moved to O scale working in prototype linear dimensions ensures accuracy.

A helpful conversion is that 1 inch is equivalent to 0.020 (20 thousandths) in O scale.

O Scale : 1foot = ¼ Inch or 12inches = 0.25 inches or 1inch = .25 / 12 = 0.0208333…inches.

Code 55 rail = 0.55” high or 55 / 20 = 2 ¾” (scale)

Code 70 rail = 0.70” high or 70 / 20 = 3 1/2” (scale)

Code 83 rail = 0.83” high or .83 / 20 = 4 1/8” (scale)

Code 100 rail = 5” scale (You can do the math in your head)

For example: Grab irons, 0.015 brass wire is ¾” in O scale.

Converting prototype rail sizes in pounds per yard requires a conversion table I don’t have.

I hope this helps.

Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR

terry2foot

I don't know whether the Bachmann Forney will work on code 55 rail, but I do know that code 55 rail is very difficult to work with compared to codes 70 or 83.

Also the "prototype" engine that is the closest to the Bachmann Forney had a higher weight on the drivers (30000 pounds total) than was permitted by the prototype rail which equates to code 55;-

Model          Prototype
Code       Weight/yard       Axle load (tons)

40       12          2
55       25          5½
70       35          9
83       55          16½
100       85          36   

But's it your choice,

Terry2foot

oldline1

Everyone,

Thanks for the great answers to my rail question. I guess going to O will take some adjustment to my thinking. I've used code 55 with HOn3 and even HO std gauge with no problems.

Thanks again for the quick and informative answers!
Roger

tac

Quote from: Nelson on July 08, 2007, 12:01:00 PM
Roger,

I have found that since I moved to O scale working in prototype linear dimensions ensures accuracy.

A helpful conversion is that 1 inch is equivalent to 0.020 (20 thousandths) in O scale.

O Scale : 1foot = ¼ Inch or 12inches = 0.25 inches or 1inch = .25 / 12 = 0.0208333…inches.

Code 55 rail = 0.55” high or 55 / 20 = 2 ¾” (scale)

Code 70 rail = 0.70” high or 70 / 20 = 3 1/2” (scale)

Code 83 rail = 0.83” high or .83 / 20 = 4 1/8” (scale)

Code 100 rail = 5” scale (You can do the math in your head)

For example: Grab irons, 0.015 brass wire is ¾” in O scale.

Converting prototype rail sizes in pounds per yard requires a conversion table I don’t have.

I hope this helps.

That is one VERY useful post.  Thanks, Nelson.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

ebtnut

Roger:  Just a reminder--On30 uses HO scale wheel and track standards.  If you have used code 55 or code 70 successfully in HO, don't change a thing (except tie size).  As noted, consider using at least code 70 for light /old time narrow guage track in O narrow gauge.  I follow EBT practices in general, using code 100 rail for the main line, and code 83 for the sidings and yards.  Code 100 is about 85-90 lb. rail; code 83 is about 65 lb.

japasha

Thanks to Terry 2foot and EBTnut on the sizes. I use code 83 myself for that oldtime rinky-dink look on my modules. For the layout, code 100 and PECO work very well. 

For those running K-series locomotives, the Rio Grande had to upgrade (as did the EBT) their mainline rail because the Mikados had a much higher axle loading than before.  The Baldwin/Crested Butte  Branch of the D&RGW has 55 pound rail and could only use small C-16s on that branch. Also note that bridges were a limiting factor as well as axle loading on rail.

Towards the end of the Rio Grande narrow gauge, the smaller K-27s were used for switching. On lightly laid sidings they used freight cars to reach so they didn't have to put the locomotive on the spur.

terry2foot

this old thread has useful information regarding rail heights (codes) that may be relevant to the discussion on "what track?"

Terry

NarrowMinded

I just did a Little test with My forney and a couple peices of code 55 track and the flanges are hitting the spikes.

NM-Jeff