Nooooooo! CRASH! How do I stop dcc collisions?

Started by train guy, September 27, 2011, 08:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

train guy

richg

Notice, no mention of system and details of crash.
Knowing how to use your controller E stop is the key.
Sometimes switching off the power supply works.
A quarter across the rails works as does any kind of metal.
I assume you forgot about Murphy when setting up your layout wiring.

Rich

Jim Banner

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ACY

Quote from: train guy on September 27, 2011, 08:09:58 PM
How do I stop DCC colisions.
Disconnect the DCC system, and then hook up ananalog controller then you can have DC collisions.

rogertra

As someone else has pointed out "Drive carefully".

However, are you a railway modeller and or serious operator or do you just play trains and let them run around a circle of track, one under your control and the other running unattended, hence the crash?

Joe323

Quote from: rogertra on September 28, 2011, 02:02:49 AM
As someone else has pointed out "Drive carefully".

However, are you a railway modeller and or serious operator or do you just play trains and let them run around a circle of track, one under your control and the other running unattended, hence the crash?

Actually inthis so-called circle scenario I have found this is the best way to avoid rear end collisions.

Len

If you have a truck load of money you could install block detection and control circuits like those produce by Atlas, Digitrax, and others.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Joe323

Quote from: Len on September 28, 2011, 10:51:16 AM
If you have a truck load of money you could install block detection and control circuits like those produce by Atlas, Digitrax, and others.

Len

But other than for power districts Doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of switching to DCC. 

richg

Anyone notice the sounds of silence from the OP?

Rich

glennk28

Just like full size:  PAY ATTENTION!  no texting.  Watch for signals. 

And be careful not to program multiple locomotives to the same address.

gj

Jim Banner

I hope he wasn't in a collision with a DCC.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Len

Quote from: Joe323 on September 28, 2011, 04:17:03 PM
Quote from: Len on September 28, 2011, 10:51:16 AM

Len

But other than for power districts Doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of switching to DCC. 

No. The idea is you, as the engineer controlling the train, have to pay attention to what the signals are telling you. And if, for instance, they go "Red" because another train has the "Green" at a crossing, you better pay attention or there'll be a "corn field meet."

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

richg

Not a new issue. I have lost track of how many times I have heard, Who has my train? when running on a DC controlled club layout. These are adults who should know better.

Rich

jettrainfan

At the CV&WS, we have people running opposing, and to make it worse, not all of them pay attention. I'm not gonna mention any names but...

driver 1: Knows the layout and how his engine runs, runs opposing but has the decency to throw the switch to give you a red light, cause he looked ahead. If worse comes to worse he'll let you know before you run into him.

Driver 2: knows the layout but really doesn't know his engine as well... runs opposing and if you aren't out of his way, your screwed. I've ran into this person when going into a blind spot, which is before the helix. the signals were not on so i rammed into his engine, and the snow plough fell off. My fault? In a way, yes, but driver 1 makes sure the signals are on before running opposing.  That signal could've prevented the accident on my part, but driver 2 should've been more responsible, sense he wasn't in a blind spot and could see his engine and mine coming.

Of course me and driver 2 got in an argument but not going into detail. The point is, head on collisions can be prevented pretty easily, Rear ends are a bit more tricky but the point is, you gotta stay ahead by 30-40 car lengths. If you don't see anyone, you take note of their current position. This may take a couple of seconds, but it'll save you the stress.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

jward

i've noticed dirty track can prevent a locomotive on dcc from responding to commands. solution: keeo the track and wheels clean. another source of runaways can be decoder malfunctions after a system reset due to short circuit. in this case, the locomotive affected takes off at full throttle and won't respond to commands. solution: disable the analog conversion feature in the decoder.

hope this is more useful than the previous post.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA