News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Breaking in a new engine

Started by peisenmetrains, September 23, 2011, 09:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peisenmetrains

Hello all,
I have a new Williams GP-38.  Is there any operating sequence or procedure I should follow when putting a new engine on the track? That is, is there a recommended "break-in" and, if so, how should the unit be run?  Thanks much. Paul

GTBob

I've purchased 2 new WbB locos.  I just put them on the track and let 'em go.  They are both fantastic locos and work great..... :)

Good luck,

Bob
"If a man does his best, what else is there!"--General George S. Patton Jr.

I own two W by B  GP38. These locos are great runners. What I have done with new locos is this.
First I visually inspect the unit, checking for correct wheel gauging, wire connections, moving part clearances. Next apply small amounts of lubricant to all bearing and bushing surfaces. I then remove the body from the frame and inspect all internal components. I then remove the two drive motors and add lubriplate white grease to the gears. At this time I apply very small amount of plastic safe synthetic oil to the upper and lower motor armature shaft to bushing areas.
At this point I assemble the loco without installing the body shell. I then run the loco without any cars attached to check operation of motors lighting and sound effects. I will run the loco forward and backward for about five minutes in each direction. All the time I am running the loco I watch closely for any signs of binding or rubbing of wiring and moving parts. I constantly feel the motors for any excess heat being produced. If the motors start to feel too warm I will turn off the loco and let it cool off. These toy machines have all new mating surfaces which require "Break-in" or a "Wear-In" period. The moving surfaces actually rub and polish each other. this is why monitoring of the temperature is important. These newly mating parts are generating heat, that, in excess could scorch and damage these surfaces. This would shorten the life of theses surfaces. Heat is a sign of friction. After an hour or two of run time I then attach some cars and have fun.
                                     Hope this helps...671

ASQTec

I have a bunch of new Williams engines. I'll take the new engine out of the box, put it right on the track and let it run. Then, I'll go outside and smoke a cigar. If it's still running when I get back, I'll take off the top and wire the motors in series.

Never had a problem.

Hi ASQTec,
         I do not agree with your standard operating procedure of just taking the loco out of the box and run it.
         I own 10 plus WbyB locos, each one came with a parts identification list, a warranty card, a maintenance sheet. All of the loco maintenance sheets stated that the loco was tested and lubricated at the factory. Light oiling BEFORE use at the indicated areas is required then every 10 hours after light oiling again. At 25 hours disassemble trucks and grease.
         My experience with WbyB locos has been varied. I.E. #2056 sem-scale Hudson..port side drive rod screw loose and smoke unit failure within one hour of use. 671 S2 Turbine..smoke unit non functioning ( no conductivity through smoke unit open circuit ). GP-9 Alaska...wiring too tight at band around motor to control board. True blast sounds in 2056's tender and true blast sounds in Great Northern Berkshire tender not functioning. All of these problems I made needed adjustments and repairs. But as with my experience these locos are not "turn key" operators.
          Are you aware, that, wiring the motors in "series" does void the warranty?
          Good maintenance practices should "Pay Off" in the long run. I have my original Lionel 671 S2 Turbine from 63 years ago, it has a few scratches, but it runs Like New because of maintenance.

Hope this helps...671

DominicMazoch

I have a very small neele oiler, and I use it to place a small drop of Teflon (tm) oils at the points in the oiling chart.  The I oil the gears on the trucks with T grease.

Start the thing in one direction, slowly increasing power.  Then in reverse.  Checking for sound and smell.  If there is no smell, normal sound, and speed considtant with voltage, then I stop the run in that drirection.  Then cycle it in reverse the same way.  Next, adding a few acrs at a time,  A 90MAC can haul about 6 "2500" AL cars once I run it through the passes like above.

Now concerning the gears.  What is WBB's opion of Lucas Oil's "Red and Tacky 2" (tm) for lubrication?

ASQTec

Quote from: 671 on September 24, 2011, 11:17:38 AM
          Are you aware, that, wiring the motors in "series" does void the warranty?

Actually,  I don't think it does unless you cut the wires. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Note for 3rail,

Is this true? As long as we do not cut the wires to the motors, you cannot tell or verify that we did or did not violate our contract with you on our warranty commitment? We can then falsify our warranty with you. We could simply  create a wiring harness that would "plug into existing wiring" and then remove this wiring and claim a "warranty" item with the company for reparations. Why would an honest person do this?
                                   I am very upset...671 ?

ASQTec

No need to get emotional. No one is trying to deceive anyone.

On all of the Williams engines that I rewired, it is EXTREMELY evident that I did. I knew what I was getting into, and accept responsibility for my actions. I accept that returning an engine under warranty was not an option.

Luckily, I've never had any problems. At the price these engines go for, and their track record, I'm not concerned about the risk.

I learned about series wiring from calling Williams a few years ago. I can't remember if the dude told me if I was voiding the warranty, and I don't care.

Many folks have found that series wiring make operating Williams trains more enjoyable. It's a choice any adult can make.

Cobrabob8

I usually run my new locomotives after a little oiling/lubing with no cars attatched for a few minutes in either direction after I initially open the box. I then make sure that it is not running too hot, add a few cars, and it is time to have fun! Like Dominic and 671 said, maintenance goes a long way. Your engine will run better and last longer.
Cobrabob.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."