News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Shay will not operate

Started by Kasman727, October 15, 2011, 02:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kasman727

Hi all

I am new to the boards and a neophyte to DDC so please bear with me.  I just bought a DDC shay (no sound) and attempted to operate it using a NCE Powercab.  All my other Bachmann locos worked fine from the box.  This unit just sits on the track and hums, no lights, no movement and no control.   :P   I tried resetting CV 8 =8 without any change.  Is the unit damaged or is there something I can do to do a factory default reset?

Thanks! Would appreciate any responses!
Kevin

JohnR

Remove the fuel load and look to see if you have a decoder plugged in.  It might be DCC-Ready; not DCC equipted.  If there is a decoder, make certain that it is seated fully in the socket in the correct orientation.

-John

eric

Link to Bachmann Product catalog:  http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=363

The specs at the bottom of the page indicate it is DCC-ready.

railtwister

Kasman727,

As has been suggested, your loco may not have a decoder, merely a DCC decoder socket with a jumper board, which when removed will allow you to plug in a decoder. The label should say whether it is DCC Ready or is DCC Equipped. The easiest test would be to put the loco on DC powered tracks and try to run it with a straight DC power pack (no pulse). If it runs OK, probably it has no decoder. If it has a decoder, it will run on DC, but there will usually be a slight pause or lag when you first start up, while the decoder determines if there's a DCC signal or just plain DC. If it still just sits there and hums, the mechanism may be locked up due to a locked up gear set, or it may just be gummed up with coagulated lubricant which will need to be cleaned out and re-lubed. If the gears are mechanically locked up, you probably need to send it back to Bachmann for service.

Good luck,
Bill in FL

Kasman727

Bill and others.....

Thanks for your kind replies.  Looks like the unit is DDC Ready, which I mistakenly assumed to mean it had DDC on board.  Guess it's time to pony up for a decoder for the loco.  Its a #25699 unit which, from research I have seen is DDC Ready.  Also the board in the tender has a small jumper on it as Bill describes, and it did run fine on a DC track.

Is it difficult to install a decoder and sound and does anyone have recommendations on a manufacturer?   and can anyone offer any advice on the install?
Kevin

ChrisS

Buy a good decoder. Remove jumper install decoder in the socket. Just get pin 1 in pin 1's hole and you'll be done. It's easy

railtwister

Kasman727,

I would recommend calling Soundtraxx and asking them which sound decoder they would suggest. Because of the Shay's limited interior space, the mini-Tsunami might be an easier install, only because it is smaller. See:
< http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/750.php > .

On the downside, the smaller decoders may tend to overheat faster, causing them to shut off until they cool down, so if it'll fit,  the full size unit would probably be more reliable. If the sound install seems like too much to shoehorn into the loco, Soundtraxx also has some mobile decoders without sound that are an easy install and very reasonably priced. If you need to order over the web or through the mail, I have had very good luck with Tony's Trains in New England < http://www.tonystrains.com >.

Good Luck,
Bill in FL