News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Parts for Santa Fe Flyer

Started by stanewindsor, September 09, 2011, 10:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanewindsor

Someone stepped on our gondola and caboose by accident.

Our little guy (William) is very upset.

Is there a store in the Philadelphia area that might have these parts?

Thank you.

Helen and Stan Dickerson

Doneldon

windsor-

Bachmann has their headquarters in Philadelphia so I'd call them first. However, you might find that parts, if available and that's a big IF, will cost more than replacements and you'll still have a train-set train. Train sets tend to have comparatively inexpensive and therefore low quality components so they can make them attractive to first time buyers and people who are just getting an inexpensive train to see if their children are interested enough in trains to justify a greater investment.

I suggest that you search on line and in your yellow pages for hobby shops. There will be a few in an area as populous as Philly. Call to see if they have some used equipment. You can often find a decent quality piece for quite a bit less than new. Be sure that the couplers will work with your existing trains and look for metal wheels. Knuckle couplers (look like a semi-closed fist) are pretty much compatible with one another except for coupling on curves, and the X2f couplers (look like alien hands with one verrrrry long knuckle) will all work together. However, knuckle couplers and X2f couplers won't mate. You can make a car with one of each to use as a connector but that's probably more hassle than you need in a child's toy. Plastic wheels aren't the end of the world but they will help dirty your track faster, causing operational problems.

If the little fella can wait you might check ebay. However, there are shipping charges to consider so inexpensive equipment tends not to be too much of a bargain there. But it can't hurt to look; sometimes there's a great deal.

Have fun with your son and your trains. The little ones really delight in trains.
                                                                                                                       -- D

train guy

In pittsburgh J and c hobbies is the way to go. Cheapest prices i've seen in 30 years!                        http://www.jchobbies.com/

MAPA JCT

You did not mention what PARTS were needed. Wheels? Axles?
I also may have the complete ITEM(s) if you want to go that route. Contact me with your wants
Marty@mapajunction.com

Marty