News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Series Wiring WbB Diesels

Started by GTBob, September 29, 2011, 11:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTBob

Was wondering if any one out there has come up w/ a quick "plug & play" connector that would allow one to connect the yellow wire from one motor to the blue wire of the other motor w/o cutting, taping, etc.,  the wires, thus, allowing a EZ hook-up and reversal.......

Anyone???? ??? ???

GTBob
"If a man does his best, what else is there!"--General George S. Patton Jr.

Sherwood

I used a small screwdirver to release the necessary terminals from their plugs, stuck the one that needs to change connection location back into the appropriate cavity.  For the other two that need to be connected to each other, I fitted a short stiff wire into the two terminals, then taped the connection.  This way it can be restored to parallel without cutting and soldering.

It was hard to find a wire that was small enough to fit snugly and was not stranded, so I ended up cutting ridgid wires that were used to connect the parallel port connector to an old PC circuit board.  I cut a few extras to have on hand for the next one.   A paper clip is close but a little too large and lightly plated steel so may have a corrosion issue eventually.

DominicMazoch

I wish WBB had the switch som K-Line engines had which one could go from parallel to series.

ASQTec

Great diagram on how to wire in series. Wish I saw that a couple of years ago.

I have most of my William's diesels wired in series. I never tried the resistor mod, but I'm not sure adding resistors has any advantage over the wiring mod. Anyone go the resistor route?

I do use resistors at some of the track power points on my layout to slow down the trains on declines (conventional transformer), so I know the theory holds up.

phillyreading

I would rather add resistors to the transformer output with a double pole/double throw toggle switch installed, so that I could use it when I wanted to and turn off the resistors when I didn't want them.
Most of my Williams engines have no need of being powered down, even when used with my pw 275 watt ZW. I have just the opposite problem, I need more power, sometimes I run three powered SD-45's in tandem for a freight haul.
My track is rather new, so resistance is not a problem, and I am using # 12 AWG wire from my transformer, so again no power loss to the tracks.

Lee F.

phillyreading

I have not wired any motors on Williams in series but have removed the reverse board and installed a diode rectifier bridge in my older SD-45's and a couple of older F-7's to keep them going in one direction. With my F-7's I have about a ten percent power increase after adding the rectifier bridge.
Maybe I have a power issue(like lower voltage, or lower Hertz or cycles) with FP&L here in south Florida, not sure.

Lee F.