TMCC upgrade for Semi-Scale O-27 Hudson N 4-6-4

Started by BruceMcCarthy, September 30, 2011, 04:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceMcCarthy

Greetings.

Is it possible to upgrade the Semi-Scale O-27 Hudson N 4-6-4 with Lionel TMCC? I'm looking for a semiscale Hudson that I can operate with my other command control engines, and this one would be great.

Thanks.

-bruce

DominicMazoch

The Electric RR Co have TMCC boards for what you want.

phillyreading

Would you have enough room to install the TMCC unit in your semi-scale Hudson is the other thing to consider. You may have to wire some it into the tender's shell area.

Lee F.

SantaFe158

It depends which one you have.  Either way the boards will probably have to go in the tender.  A TMCC board only should be able to fit into the tender of a Golden Memories hudson (smaller streamlined tender).  I think the traditional O-27 hudson has the same tender as my 773 scale hudson does, I fit TMCC and sound (a different board) into mine.  You'll have to install a tether of some sort between the engine and tender.

rtraincollector

remember these boards are about the same size of your current reverse board so the actual tmcc board may fit in the engine if you take the reverse board out that presently in there. now if you want to add rail sounds also then yes you will need to run a tether and place it and the speaker in the tender.

I have done diesels with no problem but they have more room but i also know of a couple of people who have put tmcc into Lionel's dockside switcher using electric railroad boards but I believe that board isn't made anymore it was the board they made for RMT trains. Also I know of another that put a electric railroad tmcc board in thomas the tank engine but had to run a tether to Annie I believe for the sound board.

SantaFe158

Quote from: rtraincollector on October 05, 2011, 02:02:38 PM
remember these boards are about the same size of your current reverse board so the actual tmcc board may fit in the engine if you take the reverse board out that presently in there. now if you want to add rail sounds also then yes you will need to run a tether and place it and the speaker in the tender.

I have done diesels with no problem but they have more room but i also know of a couple of people who have put tmcc into Lionel's dockside switcher using electric railroad boards but I believe that board isn't made anymore it was the board they made for RMT trains. Also I know of another that put a electric railroad tmcc board in thomas the tank engine but had to run a tether to Annie I believe for the sound board.

The cruise control board has a large heat sink, the regular TMCC boards and the Mini TMCC board for the RMT beeps would probably work.

BruceMcCarthy

I want to thank everyone for their input, this seems like a great discussion board.

Looks like I need to measure the reverse board that comes standard inside the engine to see if the replacement TMCC board will fit in the same space. I would like to add rail sounds, which means running a tether and locating the speaker inside the tender.

Thanks for all your help

-bruce

DominicMazoch

Marty, at Ma and Pa trains, not only seels W/WBB items, but sells the ERR boards.  I think He would be a great person to ask because he does both!