News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Recent Walther's Flyer

Started by mf5117, October 02, 2011, 06:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

In the recent Walther's Flyer , on page 67 in the scenery page . There is "Hemp and Poppy" flowers ie weeds if you want to call it that . Now some of us know what Hemp and Poppy is . Would they model this due to the ERA 1940's to 1960's when rope was needed and morphine was needed due to WW2 . I thought it was unusual to see this in a model railroad flyer . Or was one of their illustrators trying to be funny .

regards MF5117

CNE Runner

Hemp is a weed that grows wild over much of the Northeastern U.S. (and many other parts of the world). Its strong, fibrous nature made it a natural choice for line before the advent of plastics (nylon, Dacron, etc). [In other words, it can be found just about everywhere.]

The poppy is a beautiful flowering plant that is considered an ornamental. Following the bloodbath(s) of World War I, people noticed that poppies were one of the first flowering plants to grow on the battlefields (hence the selling of paper poppies by veteran's associations in memory of those thousands of lives lost). I think you are letting your imagination run wild to propose any other reason for their inclusion in the Walthers catalog.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

WoundedBear

I think the hemp flowers would work for a modern era layout as well. In Canada, hemp has become an accepted and lucrative crop. It is a hearty plant and does well in cooler climates. Besides the stereotypical useage as rope, hemp can be turned into fabric much more durable and softer than cotton.

It's health benefits have been known for years as well. Eating hemp seed is better than eating flax seed. It has the same Omega 3, 6 and 9 but in a much more desirable ratio that your body can utilize. Western Bakeries up here, was baking hemp seed loaves 10 years ago.

As for poppy flowers.....lol....just where do you think the poppy seeds on your last bagel came from? Somebody has to grow them.

Always remember and never forget.....hemp does not always equal marijuana and poppies do not always equal opium.

Sid

Doneldon

WBear-

The THC content of hemp plants is quite low. Yes, there is some, but not like what's in the cannabis sativa which is smoked or otherwise ingested for the fun of it. Of course, I only know that from reading; it's not like I ever tried it myself.

Also, only some poppies contain opioids in high enough concentrations to use for pain killers, and that doesn't include poppies which are grown for their beauty. The Red Emperor tulip, which is available commercially, has quite a bit of a substance similar to the precursor for morphine. We had a group of them when I was a kid in Indiana. We had to put a strong fence around it when the tulips were blooming because our dog would eat the flowers and then be blotto for the rest of the day. I guess you could say he was the first drug dog.

LSS, don't worry about sending a bad message with your model railroad. Those tiny little plants don't have enough drugs in them to bother with.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        -- D

mf5117

Thanks for the replies .Gave me alittle more insight . I didn't know that about WW1 . And I had forgot the Poppy seed on the Bagel . When I lived in Kansas the Hemp plants were everywhere . I didn't really know the benefits of the seeds , as my wife is an advid hemp user ,soaps, lotion,creams .

I wasn't trying to ,how do i say this . refer to drugs . I was thinking in terms of the benefits and hearing the history, but wondering why they would chose those 2 plants as a scenery piece . When there are other plants like daisy's, thistle , elephant ears , but again thanks ...

NarrowMinded

The Poppy is The California State flower The "California Poppy" to be more specific is Orange and Grows All over in fields and hills
http://bigjayphotography.com/photos/Train_with_Poppys.jpg

Doneldon

mf-   There are several other flowers for model railroads, including some you mentioned.

CNE-  Hemp was widely planted in the midwest,too. It was a vital material during World War II.

Narrow-  You're right. The California poppy is the golden of "Keep California green and golden."

-- D

ebtbob

Good Morning all,

I am taking this dicussion in a different direction as I feel it is imprortant that you all are aware in relation to the Walthers' flyer and catalog.
       Prices are inaccurate in many instances.   I will give you one.   Woodland Scenics plaster cloth.   In the sale catalog,  the list price is 10.49 on sale for 8.49(prices in the cents may be inaccurate but the dollar figures are correct).
If you go to the Walthers' catalog,   the plaster cloth is listed at 8.49
       Now,  I am not accusing Walthers' of wrong doing.   Remember,  the catalog is put together in the spring time of the year and released in the fall.
In that time,  obviously prices can and will change with Walthers having no say in price changes.
       Being long winded,  what I am trying to say is I hope you have a way to find out the current list price of any item in a sale flyer.   My local train store has a computer screen that will show us what current prices are so that our customers know what to expect in price.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Doneldon

eb-

Quote from: ebtbob on October 04, 2011, 09:21:46 AM
Remember,  the catalog is put together in the spring time of the year and released in the fall.

The Walthers flyer is issued monthly.

-- D

ebtbob

Doneldon,

I realize the flyer is monthly,  but my point was to know if you are really getting a deal,  I hope one has the ability to check on current prices as the flyer correctly says the list price of the plaster cloth is $10.49 on sale for $8.49 where the catalog quotes the cloth price as $8.49.    So,  based on that info,  are you really getting a deal?   Just asking.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

RAM

The price in  the 2012 catalog quotes the cloth price as $10.99. I have not checked, but I am sure you will find in the catalog that one line. "Price subject to change without notice" So you are getting about a 20 percent discount on the new price.

Doneldon

bob-

No, or course they're not getting a deal. I was merely pointing out that the Walthers flyer is a regular publication.

I'm not saying this because Walthers does it because I don't know whether they do or not, but inventing a list price to demonstrate how great a discount is has been done more than a few times in the history of advertising and retail sales.

We have a wine merchant in my community who used to run a very popular annual sale during which one could buy a bottle of wine and get a second bottle of the same one for a nickel, essentially implying that the wines were half price. And they actually were. The problem is that this particular merchant commonly sells wines for 25-30% less than regular prices so the sale prices were truly half off, but they also weren't discounted that much. So the math notwithstanding, the wines were both half off and less than half off at the same time. There was a big todo here and now this merchant has a BOGO sale.

Let me be clear. I think there was a bit of overly zealous marketing here, but probably no real intent to deceive. That's why I regularly do business with our local wine seller, and Walthers.
                                                                                            -- D

ebtbob

Ram,

In checking on your price of plaster cloth in the Walthers' catalog I found an interesting thing.   In the 2012 catalog,  on page383,  stock number 785-1203 - plaster cloth,  price is 10.99.   Now go to page 394 and you find stock number 785-1203  and the price is quoted as $8.99.    Now picture yourself behind the counter of a hobby shop and a customer orders the cloth thinking it is going to be $8.99......
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress