Hudson locomotives! Please help!!

Started by stationmaster12, October 04, 2011, 08:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stationmaster12

Dear Mr. Bach-man and everyone,
I'm a bit confused by the Williams By Bachman Hudson locomotives. Please help! One is labeled as "scale" another one is labeled as O/27, and yet another one is labeled as the "773" Please help me understand the difference between these locomotives. I want a true to scale Hudson for my layout, but I don't know which one to get. I don't have a hobby store where I live  to compare them side by side. So I have to get it on-line. All I know is that I want a Williams Hudson. I prefer the Williams Hudsons over the competition because of their value, quality, and ease of operation!
Thanks!
Keep God first in all that you do.

phillyreading

Scale usually refers to the full size engine and tender. 027 refers to a smaller version of the Hudson that will operate on a smaller curve diameter.
If you have a small layout the 027 version may be better for you.
Cost factor is the only differance that I can see between the scale Hudson and the 773, to the best of my knowledge both are very close to scale in size. The other factor is, does the 773 have a whistling tender or not? or does the scale version have the whistling tender?

Lee F.

Hi Stationmaster12,
              I have the WbyB # 2056 Semi-scale Hudson. It is a 4-6-4 wheel configuration = Hudson. I also have the WbyB #773 Scale Hudson.
              The Semi-scale # 2056 came with the same streamline tender as does the S2 671 Turbine. It has a plastic shell with true blast II sound effects. The loco is a favorite of mine. After I broke it in, smooth running, strong puller, quiet operation.
              The 2056 is smaller ( semi-scale) than the scale size #773 Hudson. The 773 Hudson has open spoked drivers, the tender is the same type that came with the Berkshire loco. It is rectangular in shape and is made of a heavy casted metal ( real nice ). True Blast II sounds. The loco and tender combination is about one inch shorter overall than the other scale WbyB locos because of the difference in the tender's size. The other scale WbyB locos have a larger cast tender.
               Both Locomotive are real nice...Get Them Both!
                             Hope this helps...671

SantaFe158

OK, so the Scale hudson is a big scale sized engine (minimum curve is 0-42 I believe) with the larger scale sized tender, the 773 hudson is the same locomotive, but like the Lionel engine it's replicating, it has a slightly smaller tender and has the number 773 on the cab (I think the Minimum curve for this one is O-31).  The O-27 hudson is a much smaller engine (runs on O-27 as the name suggests) and is based on the Lionel 2056(?).

Hi SantaFe158,
           Yes you are correct. Both locos navigate 031 tubular track.
           The semi-scale 2056 is not a small loco, it has a nice size and weight to it. It is not like a Lionel "Scout" loco.
           The 2056 boiler is the exact same boiler as the WbyB Berkshire locomotive's boiler. I find that eventhough the Berkshire and the Semi- Hudson share the same boiler, The Hudson has a better balance to it. The Berk has 8 drive wheels the Hudson has 6. The Hudson's rear drive wheel is more forward from the cab side of the boiler than the Berk. I believe this gives the Hudson a better balance point to the traction tire wheel. I have both locos, the Semi-Scale Hudson runs and pulls loads noticeably better.
           The  773 is the same locomotive as any of the other WbyB scale Hudsons, the difference is the tender.

SantaFe158

Quote from: 671 on October 04, 2011, 04:10:39 PM
Hi SantaFe158,
           Yes you are correct. Both locos navigate 031 tubular track.
           The semi-scale 2056 is not a small loco, it has a nice size and weight to it. It is not like a Lionel "Scout" loco.
           The 2056 boiler is the exact same boiler as the WbyB Berkshire locomotive's boiler. I find that eventhough the Berkshire and the Semi- Hudson share the same boiler, The Hudson has a better balance to it. The Berk has 8 drive wheels the Hudson has 6. The Hudson's rear drive wheel is more forward from the cab side of the boiler than the Berk. I believe this gives the Hudson a better balance point to the traction tire wheel. I have both locos, the Semi-Scale Hudson runs and pulls loads noticeably better.
           The  773 is the same locomotive as any of the other WbyB scale Hudsons, the difference is the tender.

Correct, i guess I made it sound way smaller than it was.  They are pretty small compared to the scale hudsons though.  I have a couple Lionel 2055's which are a little smaller than the 2056 but close enough (probably almost the same drive train) and they are nice engines, the berkshire boilered 2056 is a nice looking engine too.

stationmaster12

Thank you all!!! I really appreciate all of your input. I'll work on getting both as 671 suggested..lol after reading all or your replies, I rally think I want the "scale" Hudson. So I have to get larger radius curves..oh well that's model railroading for you. I can't wait to see this beast of a loco rolling on my layout!! Thank you all again and  God bless!!!

Cobrabob8

The Williams By Bachmann Small Hudson is almost identical to Lionel's Small Hudson, the number 2046 or 2056. Although Williams' model comes with a beautiful die-cast tender and not a plastic streamlined tender. Here is a photo of my Pennsy Hudson by Williams.
Cobrabob.

In the next photo on the lower level is one of my Lionel 2046 Small Hudsons. The two are almost identical. I would have to say the Williams locomotive has a better finish to it. The locomotive on the upper level is a newer Lionel Small Hudson, which IS smaller than the Williams model or the older Lionel 2046/2056.

In the last photo you can see two of my Williams locomotives pulling LONG freight trains, which they do quite well. One is my Pennsy Hudson and the other is my Pennsy Alco FAs. (The photo is not the best quality-sorry.)

"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

dtpowell

I'll give'r a try... Correct me if I'm wrong .

The 0/0-27 Hudson is considered semi-scale. A smaller loco maybe a scale size of 1/58 with a
tender of the same scale.

The O-gauge 773 Hudson uses a scale loco size of 1/48 with the same semi-scale tender as the smaller Hudson.

The full scale O-gauge, 1/48 Hudson uses the same scale Hudson loco as the 773 with a full scale 1/48 Tender. All have the True-Blast II sounds with exception of the Scale Hudson which adds a chugger.

SantaFe158

Mostly correct.  The scale hudson (maybe with the exception of the brass ones Williams made many years ago) only has the same tru-blast sounds (whistle/bell) as the rest of the engines.

I'm not sure what size the "Semi-Scale" hudson is, but it's still a decent size, but a few inches shorter than the scale one.

stationmaster12

Awesome! thanks guys!!! Cobrabob I like your layout!!! any vids of it on YouTube?
Thanks!!