News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power Issue

Started by en4cer, October 08, 2011, 08:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

en4cer

I recently became a member of the Texas Transportation Museum in San Antonio, with that membership I also recieved a membership to thier G scale model club. I've been modelling N scale and HO scale for quite some time but G scale is a new venture for me. The club seems to be having a power drop off on the layout they take to model train shows. It seems like a simple set up, 5 independent loops with no grade inclines of any sort. However they seemed to have had a lot of issues with lack of power during the last show. They dont run multiple engine consists, usually a single engine with about 10 cars is the norm. I would like to help remedy this issue for them. Is there a big difference in the power requirements on a G scale layout compared to HO or N?

Loco Bill Canelos

The electrical side of things works the same regardless of scale.  I actually have g Scale locos that draw less than some of my older HO scale locos.    Be sure the power pack is large enough for the job and all joiners are absolutely tight and it should go.   You didn't say how large the loops are but a second set of leads to the far end of the layout might help.  I am guessing that the trains run on a floor and gets taken up and down a lot so my suspicion woukd be with the joinres if there were no problems with the power supplies in the paast.

best of luck
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

en4cer

Thanks for the information Bill. Yes these are run on the floor and I'm guessing about 20 ft x 40 ft for the outer loop.

armorsmith

A couple of questions.

1.  What manufacturer/material is the track?

2.  What are the diameter/radius of the curves you are using?

3.  Manufacture and type of engines will also help.

Different manufacturers of track utilize different methods of connection, meaning different recommendations for tightening up the joints.

Bob C.

casey

Hi,
Loco Bill hit the nail on the head, you cant go wrong with an extra set of jumper leads feeding the far end of the track, with all of the joints not bonded you will get that loss of power, I have had my railroad running in the garden for the last 8 years and the only bonding I have is copperslip paste in the joints and an extra feed to the far end.
I don't have any problems.
regards

VirginiaCentral

The Tidewater Big Train Operators set up a Holiday display every December that is easily 50' by 100' long and we use only two wires for each loop of track.  How do we get away with it?  Every track joint is connected with Split-Jaw rail clamps.  All electrical problems are eliminated.  No need to add extra feeders.

Jerry Kay
President - TBTO
Tidewater/Hampton Roads Region, Virginia

Visit us at WWW.TBTO.ORG
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

tac

A few years back just for a laff, I hooked up a spare LGB power pack - 14V @1.5A - to an 80 foot loop, and lashed up five AristoCraft Dash 9 and twenty cars.

This train ran for an entire afternoon without any problem at all.  Sure, the PP got warm, but the trains never slowed down or stopped for lack of oomph.

A tribute to the the products of both train makers' products AND Split Jaw rail clamps, used exclusively on the VBR since it was built.

tac
www.ovgrs.org