screwing down track to plywood

Started by Greg77, October 11, 2011, 01:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg77

I was thinking of attaching my grandsons track to plywood by drilling a hole in the middle of the track and using flat head screws to hold it in place. Has anyone tried this and if so does it work. Thx ???

glennk28

What scale are we talking abouit?  I have my LGB track screwed down to my redwood  deck--outside--does fine.  I use drywall-type screws. Don't even need to drill.  Smaller scales  might be a problem.  Be careful not to over-tighten the screws.
glennk28

Doneldon

Greg-

Yes, it will work just fine but I wouldn't use flat head screws. They will stick their heads up where they will be unsightly and where a small child might skin a knuckle while pushing trains around the layout. They will also crack the plastic roadbed if you screw in too tight. I suggest pan head screws. They won't stick up as much and they will be a little less likely to crack the roadbed because they will spread their pressure over a wider area and not just at the hole. Also, I'd consider two screws but that's not real critical with EZTrack. Paint the heads when you're done and the screws will pretty much disappear.

It sounds like you have a lucky grandson. Good luck with your project.
                                                                                                                -- D

Jim Banner

This works just fine if:
- you countersink the holes so that the taper under the screw head does not split the plastic
- you do not over tighten the screws

If you set up a jig on a drill press, the job goes quickly and all the similar pieces have holes in the same place, making them interchangeable.  This may or may not matter to you.  One or two screws per track section is usually enough.  I used #4 x 1/2" Robertson slot screws to eliminate any chance of a screw driver slip ruining the track.

I did this on medium density fiberboard which has no grain.  With plywood, you might have to drill pilot holes or at least poke starter holes with an awl to keep the grain from shifting the screw when you attempt to start it.

While gluing the track down is simpler and quicker, using flat heat screws is the ultimate best way to hold track down.  It even works over grass mat sitting loose on the table top.  While grass mat is often attached like wall paper, using it loose can quickly give you a 4 ' x 8' layout with grass and track in place.  Then your grandson can arrange and rearrange buildings, vehicles, etc. to his heart's content.  If/when he decides on a permanent arrangement, it is quite easy to cut the mat and glue down the edges where you want grass and fill in the spaces to make roads, building foundations etc.  At that stage, the uniform green might not look as realistic to your grandson as it first did.  If so, he can add various over ground covers right over top of the mat with or without gluing it in place.

What I am trying to suggest here is to keep the initial railroad simple and let your grandson play an active role in it's long term development.  The choice, of course, is yours.  But I believe this is the way to keep up your grandson's interest and learning for years, perhaps even as a lifetime hobby.

Jim (a model railroader and also a grandfather.)

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Greg77

Thanks to all who responded, i really appreciate that. I think I like the countersink idea and we will start just with paint for grass as he is only 5 and I want this to progress his way. Thanks again.