How to install a track on a sheet of plywood

Started by wing_man49, October 08, 2011, 08:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wing_man49

What is the best way to install a track onto a sheet of plywood? I do not care for the "pins" the Hobby Store likes to sell me. Thinking there has to be a better way. Thanks in advance. Peace ya all!
Vernon

Bucksco

If you are using EZ Track (track with plastic roadbed) a hot glue gun works really well for securing the track to plywood.

Jim Banner

Temporary caulk will hold E-Z Track in place but is easy to peel off if/when you want to move it around.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mabloodhound

Caulking from the hardware or big box store.   I don't know what 'temporary' caulk is, just get the regular vinyl adhesive caulk.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Jim Banner

If you Google TEMPORARY CAULK, you will come up with many explanations.  This link leads to one of them:

http://www.experts123.com/q/what-is-temporary-caulking.html

Reason I don't like to recommend caulk in general is because some of it will not peel off easily or may not be removable at all.  Temporary Caulk is designed to peel off easily.  It is not as common as it once was, and may not be available at all in the Southern US.  Up here in the Frozen North, it is useful not only for old windows but also for garage doors if, like me, your garage hasn't seen a car for years but you like to use it as a heated workshop in the winter.

A specific brand of temporary caulk is Dap Seal 'N Peel Removable Caulk, Product No. 18324.  It comes in 10.1-Ounce caulking cartridges and is available from ACE Hardware.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

wing-

Your question doesn't state whether you have track only, track already mounted on ballast or whether you want to be able to easily remove your track and reconfigure it.

If you have track only, you can either mount it on cork roadbed, using glue (plastic safe construction adhesive or, especially, caulk) will hold the cork to the roadbed and the track to the roadbed. Use clear caulk applied very thinly to hold the track to the roadbed. Put a little down the middle of the roadbed and spread it out with a putty knife. You won't need much under the roadbed, either, but use very little under the track because too much will look like a sloppy job.

If you have track with ballast (e.g., Bachmann EZTrack or Life-Like Power-Loc) Caulk or hot glue will work fine. Be sure to use the temporary caulk mentioned by Jim Banner if you think you might want to pull it up for changes. If that's the case, you can actually skip the glue/caulk completely if you are using one of the combined track and roadbed products. Then fix it down once you have settled on a plan. I suggest that you not permanently affix structures or scenery while your track plan is undetermined as it will be more work and risk damage if you must pull up the scenery and buildings.
                                                                                                                                                                                   -- D

wing_man49

Thanks for all of the advice. Gonna get the hot glue gun out and go for it! Thanks again guys! A five year old great nephew is going to have a great Christmas!

NarrowMinded

STOP!  ;D before you glue it all down I recommend you have a few trackfeeder/rerailers at different locations around the track, I'm assuming you're using ez track since you are taking the glue gun advise, not only will the extra feeders help to keep the loco running, but they do help catch and rerail cars that may have jumped a rail, they don't always rerail them but they do help.

NM-Jeff

poliss

You could use a latex based adhesive, Copydex is the brand name, or you could possibly find it cheaper at your local carpet store under another name.