News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

how do i fix this?

Started by ForThemPanzerz, October 11, 2011, 08:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForThemPanzerz

i have 1 tyco 4-8-0 1 MDC climax and 1 bachmann 4-4-0 all from the 70s and 80s and they all have their wheels slip when they are on 0% grade track just wondering if it could be a pickup problem because i see sparks on the pickup wheels.
Forumfield

richg

I have these locos. They run very well.
If the wheels slip on yours when they are on level track, 0 percent grade, you have other issues.
Are the tenders dragging? Is one truck on the Climax hung up?
The only time they ever slip for me is up a grade and hauling too many cars or on the level with too many cars.

Rich

ForThemPanzerz

Quote from: richg on October 11, 2011, 09:12:36 PM
I have these locos. They run very well.
If the wheels slip on yours when they are on level track, 0 percent grade, you have other issues.
Are the tenders dragging? Is one truck on the Climax hung up?
The only time they ever slip for me is up a grade and hauling too many cars or on the level with too many cars.

Rich
just checked the 4-8-0 and it needs cleaning and lubing. the climax i ran without the shell  and the motor looks fine and the wheels spin but it goes and slows down and goes and stops i cleaned the track also.
Forumfield

richg

Light lub on the 4-8-0. Lub is a film not a lot of gear oil. I use Labelle 102 Gear oil for the two gears.
Pull the plate for the drivers and put a film of gear oil on each drive axle.
The tender axles should not require any lub. I use the Micro Mark truck tuner to clean up the trucks.
I have a couple times used the Labelle 134 powder to see if it would help a wheel point where it fits in to the truck. It might have helped a little
Not WD40 which has lubricating properties but is a solvent, not a lubricant.

For the motor bearings, a tiny drop on the end of a tooth pick for each bearing.

The MDS Climax and boxcab running qualities have always been an issue. Both have the same running gear. Disassemble the trucks and clean them up. A little gear oil where needed.
My MDC Climax has been upgraded to a new can motor and flywheel drive system.
There is a lot to do to make the trucks run better. Fine tuning.

If you are adventurous.

http://www.2guyzandsumtrains.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=2095/postdays=0/postorder=asc/highlight=climax/start=0.html

Rich

richg

I have a book on how to do some upgrades of the MDC loco & truck that I will look up.

Rich

ForThemPanzerz

thank you i looked at geared steam and only found how to upgrade the engine. this is way WAY ahead of me also the climax came only with the engine. i also found an article in MR about how to custom detail it... also the engine looks to be in good condition.
Forumfield

richg

Do you mean the Climax came without a cab, just the frame and trucks?

Rich

ForThemPanzerz

i also forgot to mension that the 4-4-0 is i very bad condition it might just become "rusty good ol number 1 on the rip track" i plan on a cosmetic restoration then making it an old worn out engine lost on an old siding in the woods or in the engine in the park style engine.
Forumfield

ForThemPanzerz

sorry i ment to say the locomtive without the box and spare parts.
Forumfield

ForThemPanzerz

i was also wondering. does anyone know the road names it had because i see D&RGW and Battle mountain and i know there are a lot more
Forumfield

richg

Quote from: mr shay on October 11, 2011, 10:48:06 PM
i was also wondering. does anyone know the road names it had because i see D&RGW and Battle mountain and i know there are a lot more
Take your time and look through the below link. That link is about MDC Roundhouse and some are the new Roundhouse sold by Athearn. I scanned and sent him some diagrams.
This guy takes scans of documents from others and keeps them for anyone who wonders about details of older products.
I have sent him some from old models and even the newest Bachmann models I have.
Click on the Literature link for other brands. His list is not exhaustive. It is what others send him.

http://www.hoseeker.net/mdcmiscellaneous.html

Store the link in Favorites and take time to read as much as you can.

Rich

NMWTRR

The MDC Climax has the same chasis as the Box Cab.

One issue I found with my boxcab is the drive dog was slipping on the shaft. This can cause very erratic operation.

I drilled a very small hole through the end of the plastic drive dog and into the shaft. Actually drilled them at different times but got them close enough to use a small piece of a paper clip and super glue to tie them together. This helped but it is not the best runner.

The link shows a photo on how it looked after I finsihed attaching the drive dog to the shaft.

http://s902.photobucket.com/albums/ac226/nmwtrr/Box%20Cab%20DCC%20conversion/?action=view&current=Pinuniversaltoshaft.jpg

I understand there are other things that can be done to them to improve their running capabilities. I think others posted info regarding a book that might help.

The tyco 4 4 0 also was not the best runner but looked great. Best of luck 

ForThemPanzerz

i think i found the soultion a brill trolley chasis.
Forumfield

richg

Quote from: mr shay on October 11, 2011, 10:25:42 PM
i also forgot to mension that the 4-4-0 is i very bad condition it might just become "rusty good ol number 1 on the rip track" i plan on a cosmetic restoration then making it an old worn out engine lost on an old siding in the woods or in the engine in the park style engine.

I assume you have the 4-4-0 with the motor in the tender driving the loco via a drive shaft.
Look at the below link.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/bachmann_4-4-0/wipers/

Harold has a lot of pages. Click on the different links. Store them in Favorites.

Rich

ForThemPanzerz

to clear anything the 4-4-0 is bachmann and its in very bad condition, the 4-8-0 is a tyco engine and it looks very nice.
Forumfield