News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GE U33B Diesel Rock Island

Started by applehead, October 12, 2011, 11:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

applehead

Hi,
I am a total novice when it comes to electric trains, but today I purchased an engine and caboose. I don't know how old it is, what it is worth, and I'd like to know if it is a desirable collectible. The only thing I could find on the web was a sale of one in Brazil for 80 Reals or about $45 US. And I wonder why nothing came up on the Bachmann product search engine?
I would appreciate any discussion.

applehead

Thanks for the info.
It is good to know I don't need to reverence it in its present mint in the box condition. I can start forming a plan to build a railroad with these first two pieces.
I can't help but feel a bit of a let down though; thought I had a treasure.  ;)

Doneldon

apple-

Quote from: applehead on October 13, 2011, 12:22:20 AM
I can start forming a plan to build a railroad with these first two pieces.

That's what it's all about! Welcome to model railroading.

-- D

applehead

Is this hobby compatible with house cats? :D

Doneldon

apple-

Sure. The trains are inedible so the cat won't eat them, the track will give
your pet an unfriendly buzz should s/he chase the train, and the scenery is
hard shell so there's no where to scratch a depository for things which
belong in the litter box.
                                       -- D

applehead

I'll just have to come up with a off limits room with a door that stays shut. If not I can foresee trouble. Like Godzilla laying across the track batting at the sign posts and whatnot.

jward

some of the earliest bachmann locomotives had a cast metal frame and 8 wheel drive. these would be a better performing locomotive than the later pancake motored 4 wheel drive versions from the 1980s.

the u33b/u36b is unfortunately no longer produced by bachmann, but the body should fit on a b23-7 chassis with little modification. eventually, you may want to consider doing this for a better running locomotive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA