starting my 4-6-0 Steam Locomotive

Started by hawgmanjr, October 18, 2011, 02:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgmanjr

I received a Bachmann White pass engine 4-6-0 Steam Locomotive - Anniversary Edition G scale , I placed it on my brass track and made sure the smoke was off behind the boiler front plate (also tried the other switch above the smoke switch in both positions) and I switched the sound off in the back just to test it and nothing happend. is there another switch? I must be having a mental issue but can anyone tell me how to turn on the train? I ran another engine with no issues so the track gets power and the track is connected okay just don't know what I am doing wrong.

aspoz

I don't have an Annie so I'm not sure.  Certainly my Indy doesn't but it does have a polarity switch and a DCC/DC switch; but suggest you post this on the "large" board under the "beginner's section.  You'll quickly get a definitive answer there.

rogertra

To start a steam locomotive moving forward.

Assuming the locomotive has enough steam showing on the gauge to move here's what you do.

1) Put the reverser into full forward gear.

2) Open the cylinder cocks.

3) If in North America, turn on the bell.

4) If in North America, give two short blasts on the whistle.

5) Release the independent brake.

6) Open the throttle to about 1/4 or so.

7) Once moving, you can usually shut off the bell unless there are people around or common sense says to leaving on for a little more.

8) After about 6 or 8 beats of exhaust, you can close the cylinder cocks.

After these moves the adjustment of the throttle and reverser dictate the speed you will achieve.

Oh!  You're talking about a G Scale model locomotive?

Never mind.  Sorry, can't help.