News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing Body Of GP 40

Started by TOMALCO, October 14, 2011, 11:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMALCO

Hi,

How do you remove the body of the current Bachmann GP 40 ? 

I looked at the Parts & Service section, but it has the same exploded view that comes with the GP 40.  It has no indication of how to take off the body.

I tried turning the locomotive over and inserting the blade of a small screwdriver between the body and the metal frame - - to see if I could release some tabs, if there are any.  I repeated that several times; however, the body is stiff and I did not want to break it.

Do I have to remove the plastic fuel tank?  I did not want to force it off in case it is fastened to the frame with screws.  The exploded view does not even show the fuel tank!

This is my first day on this site, and it is because of this problem removing the GP 40s shell.  I hope this question has not been asked before, but I did not want to search thru 289 pages of discussion questions.

Happy modeling, TomM  ::)

Jerrys HO

Tom
Yes the fuel tank must be removed. If my memory is correct without going to look at mine there is a screw under the tank. The tank is not that fragile just snaps on and off.
Jerry

jward

jerry is right.

under the fuel tank cover there are two screws which hold the body on the chassis.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

TOMALCO

Thank you.  The plastic GP 40 fuel tank cover is a very snug press fit.  It took some prying with the small flat bladed screwdriver to get the fuel tank moving off of the metal fuel tank structure underneath it.  Eventually it slid off.  There are two screws holding the body and frame together.  It would be great if Bachmann would show this on their drawing!  Once the screws were out, I had to ease the frame past the coupler mounts... a little back-and-forth action.
The only problem that I had was when I dropped one of the screws!   >:(
I spent at least 5 minutes on hands and knees searching forth the danged lost screw.  Eventually I gave up.  For now, the body and frame are held together with only one screw.  Usually I disassemble things over an inverted copier paper boxtop, but this time I was in a hurry and paid the price... only taking a couple of screws out... you know the famous last words.
Anyway, thanks to you all for the answer  ;D

richg

Over the years I have realized that companies figure if you want to take their products apart, you should have some mechanical experience.
Believe it or not, good documentation can cost quite a lot to produce and many toss the paper work or loose it and want to run their trains ASAP.
With the questions posted in forums about taking a loco apart, very few ever take photos or videos of their procedure and post them to forums. A single photo would probably work and a single photo is worth a thousand words. Some need to be shown how to turn the loco upside down and usually a cross point screw driver is needed. Oh, screws do walk a lot.
Take photos and get a Photo Bucket account and you will be ready to help others.

Rich

jward

Quote from: TOMALCO on October 19, 2011, 01:23:05 PM
The only problem that I had was when I dropped one of the screws!   >:(
I spent at least 5 minutes on hands and knees searching forth the danged lost screw.  Eventually I gave up.  For now, the body and frame are held together with only one screw.  Usually I disassemble things over an inverted copier paper boxtop, but this time I was in a hurry and paid the price... only taking a couple of screws out... you know the famous last words.
Anyway, thanks to you all for the answer  ;D

luckily bachmann uses a standard screw which is available from the parts dept.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe323

I take these tiny screw type parts apart over a dish pan to avoid losing the screws etc.