News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How do you find the date of a model train

Started by aarms, October 14, 2011, 12:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarms

I recently acquired some model trains of different brands some are Bachmann, but there Tycos, Athearn and a Reverra (Not sure on the spelling of the last one).  I think they may have been made in the 70's but I'm not sure.  So my question is how do you date model trains?  I think I see a month and year on the side of some and others it looks like it may be on the bottom.  They are all HO scale or gauge, still learning the difference, and would like any feed back anyone may have.  I may be looking at selling some of them and would like to have a little more information.  I do have two boys so we might keep them and have some fun.  A couple are still wrapped and look new and never used.  Do the 70's era, if they are from that era, have some collector value?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jward

as a general rule, tyco, bachmann and other trains from the 1970s and 1980s have little resale value. the quality of the trains produced to-day is so much better that the older ones are obsolete. and you can often find newer, better quality locomotives at train shows for $15-25. plus, the older locomotives in many cases cannot be easily converted to dcc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

aarms

What about dating the trains though? Some may be older.

ACY

If they are all metal and very heavy then you would have a decent locomotive. Was the one manufacturer Rivarossi? That one might be okay, I can almost guarantee the others are either not worth very much, do not run well or both.

Doneldon

aarms-

It would be helpful for you to post photos of the old trains you have. As other responders have said, they probably aren't worth much because they are operationally obsolete, their detail and appearance are way below today's standards, they were produced in large numbers and few are in pristine condition which is a requirement for retained value even in rare models. However, showing us some photos is the best way for us to assess what you have, just in case you have a honey or two.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

jward

as for dating them, specific dates are almost impossible, but i can offer a time frame for diesel locomotives.

rivarossi, marketed by AHM. 1960s to mid 1980s.
tyco, red box, locomotives have power trucks with rivited gearbox: 1960s
tyco, brown box, locomotives have power trucks without rivits, 1970s to 1980s

bachmann, die cast chassis with 8 wheels geared: early to mid 1970s
bachmann, plastic chassis with one truck powered, one truck free wheeling: mid 1970s, 1980s.

athearn, cast metal truck sideframes, grey motor: 1970s
athearn, plastic truck sideframes, gold motor: 1980s to 1990s

of these, the athearns, and possibly the bachmann with die cast chassis, would be worth rebuilding. the athearns were good locomotives in their day. they were easy to work on and reliable pullers. at one time i had 30+ of them, they were the backbone of my locomotive fleet.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Woody Elmore

The one name you mention might be Revell - they made trains late fifties to early sixties. Their models are not thatl common but I believe some of the freight cars came from Athearn.

As written in this board many times old HO trains that were mass produced have little value. Occasionally a rare piece turns up, even then the price is often less than what you'd get for a currently produced HO boxcar!

aarms

Okay you guys wanted some pictures.  First let me say thanks for all the help. I got a chance to look at them closer and they are probably from 70's being they are the "Spirit of America" series.  Well I can't post pictures here they are too big so if you could please look at the trains at http://hoscaletrains.shutterfly.com/ I would greatly appreciate it.  If you could please post your comments there so I'll know what trains you  are talking about.  I hope this won't be to much of a inconvenience.  So far I have some Atherns, AHM, Rivarossi and Bachmann that run pretty good and a Tempo made for AHM that seems to run really good and strong, still have to hook it up to more cars but the engine seemed strong enough to run quite a few but I think it's a pretty good engine, but not sure about collector appeal or value, nor do I know much about there history, so if you can keep this in mind when looking at the pictures.  I'll say more of what I know and how they run under the pictures.  So if you could go there and add what you know to the individual trains I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks

jward

looking through the photos it appears that the ahm gg1 would be the only one that isn't low quality. the athearn rubber band drive locomotives have possibilities, but you'd have to put the bodies on a later, geared athearn drive for them to perform decently. don't know what collectors would pay for the bicentennial items, but all of them are low quality as well. compare the speed control of any of these with a new locomotive and you'll instantly see the difference.

there isn't anything there i would have purchased even at a flea market.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

aarms

What about the Tempo AHM?  It seemed to run really well and the paint on the body seems to be of better quality paint.  Do you know any of the history of them?  I have a couple of Rivarossi Steam locomotive  I'll post later.  Thanks

jward

you mean the ahm c liner? it only pulls what it does because of rubber bands on the wheels. once those break it won't pull much. if you overload it it will bounce itself off the track. and with the motor directly geared to the wheels with no reduction gears, it takes off at supersonic speed and only gets faster from there. even when new, it was a locomotive serious model railroaders shied away from. compare it to something made by bachman or atlas in the last 10 years and you'll see the difference.

bu don't take my word for this. find a model railroad club near you, take them there and ask the members what they're worth. and watch how the models  they are running respond compared to the ones you have.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

Yeah the AHM PRR GG-1 is not too bad, the rest of it is not worth much and does not run well (compared to new locos). The AMH steamers may be okay, it depends though on which they are.