Does DCC Auto Reverse Loop Module 44912 need special track?

Started by kpsdjs, October 14, 2011, 09:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpsdjs

Hollo All,

I have found a good price on this DCC reverse loop module, but I don't find any ref. to the track! Do I need special, or can std. roadbed track be used?

Thanks,
Kelly

ACY

Are you making a point to point reversing layout or a layout with a reversing loop/section. If the former, you have the incorrect device, if the latter you will need a DCC system.

kpsdjs

Acy & All,

My system is DCC, and module is called "Spectrum EZ Command Control System Digital Automatic Reverse Loop Module 44912". So.."Loop"! Not "point to point"!
     Do I need any special track? Maybe std. track w/isolating contacts, and 2-3 point wireing?

Thanks,
Kelly

Doneldon

kp-

The unit you have is not designed to make your train go back and forth over the same track. It changes the polarity of the rails to avoid a short circuit in a loop which turns back upon itself. If you are using the unit to do this you can use regular track of any manufacture. Be sure to insulate both rails at both ends of the reverse loop. The insulated section must be at least as long as the longest train you plan to run through the reverse loop to prevent problems caused by passenger cars or cabeese. It's easiest to insulate the whole loop, assuming it doesn't wander all over before it re-enters the turnout which formed it. You won't run any feeders directly to the isolated track. Rather, you connect a feeder to the reverse loop module and feed the isolated section from the module. You'll need more than one feeder from the module if your loop is a large one.
                                                                                             -- D

kpsdjs

Hello Again.
     Doneldon Wrote:
      "You won't run any feeders directly to the isolated track. Rather, you connect a feeder to the reverse loop module and feed the isolated section from the module."
     A slight oxymoron. (I love finding these and also love puns) I knew the feeder(s) would come from module.
     Sounds like this is what I want. I will wait a day or so for others who might have ideas about this module! Once I buy it, I can't return!

Kelly

poliss