What does everyone want after the Heisler - part of the problem

Started by kcsivils1, October 18, 2011, 10:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcsivils1

I would not be surprised if Bachmann focused more on rolling stock  and items like the steam donkey just released for one simple reason. Market saturation.

How many On30 modelers are there? How many are joining the ranks? It is a reasonably finite number.

How many of us have all the locomotives we need plus a bunch we just want?

How many of us have so much money tied up in just locomotives we could have financed a dream lay-out?

My little On30 empire, if it was a real railroad, would never have had more than 5 or 6 operating steam locomotives at one time - at its financial and operational peak. It could have gotten by with 3 or 4.

How many do I have?

Bachmann:

(2) 2-6-0s
(1) OF 2-8-0
(1) OF 4-4-0
(1) 2-6-6-2
(1) 0-4-2

BLI:

(1) 2-8-0

Conversions to diesels:

(2) kitbashes

That is a total of 9 locomotives, 3 more than I need.

I will get a Heisler because I want one so badly to give me a total of 10.

If I am operating by myself when the lay-out is finished, the most I would need is 4 locomotives. One to switch, one for a passenger train and two for a double header or one for a freight and one for a woods operation. Really, that is a two or three person job.

I would expect to see new locomotives, but with less frequency.

Some possibles in my wild guesses:

Bigger two truck shay - with gear problems resolved.
A Maine 2-6-2 to go with the Forney's
Some type of export locomotive like the OF 4-4-0

The only one I would consider is a larger Shay locomotive. My fleet will be done with the addition of one, possibly two, Heisler locomotives.  If I add other rod engines, one of the existing fleet will be sold off to make room for the new locomotive.

Some rolling stock I would like to see Bachmann introduce!!!

1) RPO coach - this would complete the entire passenger train
2) steel box car
3) wooden hopper to go with the ET&WNC 4-6-0 all though there are a few kits out there now.

Another solution I could foresee is the discontinuation of locomotives already produced as new locomotives are brought into production.

Not trying to be a naysayer or dampen anyone's enthusiasm, just speculating about the business of producing these models for us.

Oh, there is one more model I would HAVE to buy - any reasonably accurate models of an Argent Lumber Company locomotive - any of them.

Royce Wilson

The ET&WNC wooden hopper is already being produced and sold by Keith Wiseman ::)

Royce

Royce Wilson

What would happen if Bachmann updated the mogul and widened it to standard gauge for the O scales(not tinplate!) change the domes to non Union Pacific.

Also to respond to a earlier post on the C-16. If Bachmann produced this in HOn3 and standard gauge for early-intermediate ,then you would see alot of rubber gaugers here.

Royce

S. Calloway

Royce,  The last time I looked, Wiseman was making the ET&WNC flats and gons but not the hoppers. I didn't see these on his web page also . I did Ttalk to Mr. Wiseman and he was planning to do these cars soon.  I know of another mfg that is planning to do the 36' boxcars very soon.  I to would love to see Bachmann do the hoppers. At 28'ft,  They could be at home on any home layout.  The new caboose(505) by Deerfield river is a gem!  It looks great with the Bachmann ten wheelers! If they have started making those hoppers,I need a bunch!!

Royce Wilson

Hey, I sorry I thought I saw on his Yahoo group were Keith was making these, I guess its my mistake. :o

Royce

kcsivils1

He has the masters for hoppers it seems. Has made the molds but now has to finish the instructions, etc. Really good guy to deal with.

Just sometimes I like the easy way out ;)

Royce Wilson

While we are on the subject of Keith Wiseman, most people don't know that he has reisued and even improved all the old V&T shops kits to include the beatiful, American Hoist & Derrick ditcher in 1/4 inch scale and lets not forget the Durango Press kits that he reisued and improved. If you have not seen the RGS plow flanger then you owe to your self to take a look. Keith improved the kits so that you don't have to be a master builder to build one of these. Kudos to Keith! ;D

Royce

S. Calloway

Kieth does seem to be a great guy,and his line of "stuff" keeps growing. On the issue of most narrow gauge roads having one or two locomotives only, the ET&WNC had  six of the ten wheelers and with only minor differences they all "looked" the same. 8 had a wooden cab, 9 was only   very slightly smaller in size ,while 10,11,12,and fourteen were built from the same blueprints. I can say I am VERY glad Bachmann chose to do the ten wheeler.  I think they will get alot of Milage out of it.     All of the ideas are fun to read,and it is a good time to be  ;) in narrow gauge.

Royce Wilson

Please Mr. Bachmann do not think we are unhappy!  your stuff is great and it is correct ,we have never had so good!  Keep it up.

Royce

railtwister

Quote from: Royce Wilson on October 20, 2011, 09:07:17 AM
Please Mr. Bachmann do not think we are unhappy!  your stuff is great and it is correct ,we have never had so good!  Keep it up.

Royce

Royce,

Actually, I for one can't say that. When the new Porters were announced, I couldn't wait for them to arrive, I wanted to buy at least one each 0-4-0 and 0-4-2 (both with sound), and was also excited to hear about the upcoming Heisler with sound as well, but after realizing that I am already sitting on 5 On30 locos that may never run again due to split gears, and that Bachmann is not only not addressing the problem, but in some cases denying that it even exists, I have decided I won't be buying ANY more Bachmann locos (in any scale), no matter how attractive they might look. When my last Bachmann On30 loco craps out, it will go in the dumpster and any On30 rolling stock will go on Ebay, if there are no worthwhile On30 locos produced by a more reputable company by that time. It's a shame, I think Bachmann has been both the best thing and the worst thing for On30. The initial fact that they came out with decent looking On30 ready-to-run products really put the scale on the map, but their continued lack of support for poorly engineered products that self-destruct without ever being used will eventually destroy all that they have accomplished in On30 up to this point.

I have been in model railroading for well over 50 years, and active in On30 for over ten years, but the most I can say about Bachmann today is that I am greatly disappointed.

Bill in FL

JerryB

Dear Bill in FL:

Could you please report on your contacts with the Bachmann Service Department regarding your "5 On30 locos that may never run again due to split gears?"

It is a serious concern if Bachmann is not supporting their stated warranty. We train enthusiasts need keep informed on these issues.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources