News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO scale Trucks

Started by John J, September 26, 2011, 10:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John J

I have a six wheel logging car and I need some aftermaket trucks that are all metal does anyone know of one that makes a ho truck with that many wheels?

richg

What type of logging car? There are six wheel trucks, usually for passenger cars. I have never seen a logging car with six wheel trucks, though they must exist since you are asking. I am assuming a car for carrying logs.
There are different manufactures of trucks for railroads.
What diameter wheels do you need. Maybe show us a picture in case no else knows exactly what you need.

Rich

ebtnut

Some big logging lines had substantial flat cars for moving heavy equipment such as donkey engines and even buildings.  Some of them may have had six-wheel trucks.  I would suggest that the six-wheel trucks used under the tenders of big steam models would probably fill the bill. 

richg

Quote from: John J on September 26, 2011, 10:00:01 PM
I have a six wheel logging car and I need some aftermaket trucks that are all metal does anyone know of one that makes a ho truck with that many wheels?

How about a picture or a Internet link showing us the car you have?

Rich

John J

jward

are you sure you want metal trucks? an upgrade to metal wheels would probably suffice, and be much easier to find. bachmann makes 33" flat back wheelsets that would fit perfectly.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ken G Price

I have seen pictures of real flat cars like that. They are made for very heavy loads such as large construction equipment or as the DOD uses them to move heavy armored vehicles.
Here are two.
http://www.sdrm.org/roster/freight/flt39106/39106_1.jpg
http://military.railfan.net/cars/dodx40438.JPG
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Doneldon

JJ-

I believe the photo shows a heavy duty flat car which has an accidental log load. Twelve inches to the foot railroads consider using regular flat cars to carry logs in only the most unusual and urgent case when a regular log car is unavailable. And they'll try to avoid it even then. Flat cars without bunks are not easily adapted to carry logs safely. I've certainly seen logs in gondolas once in a blue moon but I've never seen them on a conventional flat. I'm guessing that Bachmann just put some spare logs on this surplus flat as an inducement to customers who might buy it.
                                                                                                                                    -- D

mabloodhound

As suggested, just replace the wheelsets with metal ones.   No need to replace the trucks.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

John J

So My best bet would be to just put metal wheels in the plastic frame.... ???
So does anyone know if they are a 33" or a 36" wheel, they look a little bigger then the other ones so does this mean they are 36"?
Never real have gone this far into railroading before, but I always enjoyed doing it gowning up, just had to find something to keep my mind in-tuned with what I was dealing with thur the past year so I could keep focused on my job and step-dad and Thur his cancer treatments.... So I have decide to name my railway The Eddy Express in Loving Memorey of Bob Eddy my step-dad.....   

jward

try 33" first, most freight cars use 33" wheels.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

John J

Thank you all for the great pointers.... I will try the 33" first and then the 36" if the 33" don't fit...

JJ

richg

Quote from: John J on October 12, 2011, 09:50:12 PM
Thank you all for the great pointers.... I will try the 33" first and then the 36" if the 33" don't fit...

JJ

Not going to work if the car has 33" wheels. Couplers will not match up with 36" wheels.
0.379 33" wheels That is about 3/8".I just measured a 33" wheel while at my PC.
0.414 36" wheels

You can measure with a 12" ruler, the thread diameter.

Get yourself  dial caliper to measuring MRR stuff. You can get plastic ones on line for maybe $10.00 that will do the job. I did this many years ago.

Rich

jward

from my experience, putting 36" wheels on a car designed for 33" wheels will often cause the wheels to rub the car floor, in addition to affecting the coupler height.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

After a lot of searching I did find him a pair of 6 wheel Buckeye freight trucks with 33 inch wheels and sent him a PM. Hopefully he is still around.

Rich