News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Baldwin Spectrum HO 4-4-0 questions

Started by Steam is King, October 21, 2011, 04:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam is King

Hey Y'all,

I'm looking at getting a few of the new Baldwin 4-4-0's. My question is do the undecorated versions come with different steam domes and the choice of coal or oil bunkers? I really like the GN version with its domes and the oil tender. The pics of the undecorated version out there show rounded domes and coal bunkers. I really don't want to repaint a GN but I guess I will if I'm forced to get what I want. The parts pages do not show any parts available for the Baldwin.

Thanks,

Manny

richg

Check the diagram page. The diagram that came with mine shows the parts.

My undecorated 4-4-0. I modified the headlight. Be careful of the chains hanging on the tender. Mine came in with one hanger broken.

Rich

Doneldon

Steam-

I think the painted unlettered locos include a selection of customizable
details like multiple domes, lights and so on. I'm not positive on this
but I'm pretty sure.
                               -- D

NevinW

This is an important question.  If one can get the Baldwin 4-4-0 undecorated with fluted domes and the oil bunker in the tender then there are numerous possibilities here. Can someone comfirm this for us?    -  Nevin

richg

My undecorated Richmond 4-4--0 diagram does not show fluted domes.
The Bachmann diagrams page show what "might" be fluted domes with part numbers. Try ordering them from Bachmann.
Bachmann parts for the Richmond shows the Richmound boiler and the wood boiler. Neither have fluted domes. Fluted domes are 1870 1880's vintage, possibly into the 1890's.
Last I knew, the Richmond is 1913 vintage.

Looking in the Product Information page, some seem to have the fluted domes.
Go look for the Richmond 4-4-0 and when you see the picture, select Large photo. Then press the PC Ctrl key and press the Plus + key to make the picture larger. The press the Ctrl key and minus - key to make the picture return to normal view that you use.

Rich

Doneldon

I don't see any fluted domes. I do see some older looking
locos with banded domes. Flutes run vertically and all
of the design elements I saw were circumferential. Maybe
this is just a problem of misusage. I don't know.
                                                                           -- D

richg

Quote from: Doneldon on October 23, 2011, 09:07:17 PM
I don't see any fluted domes. I do see some older looking
locos with banded domes. Flutes run vertically and all
of the design elements I saw were circumferential. Maybe
this is just a problem of misusage. I don't know.
                                                                           -- D

Below is what I have seen for fluted domes over the years.

http://www.discounttrainsonline.com/Detail-Associates-Locomotive-Detail-Steam-Dome-Fluted/item229-8004.html

Rich

richg

This is from the diagram page and is the 4-4-0 body.

Rich

richg

Ok, I ws wrong on the item I thought had a fluted dome for the Richmond. I was away and using a laptop which must have distorted the item a little. I was not looking at the American 4-4-0. I have the American and Richmond.

Rich

Doneldon

Below is what I have seen for fluted domes over the years.

http://www.discounttrainsonline.com/Detail-Associates-Locomotive-Detail-Steam-Dome-Fluted/item229-8004.html

Rich

Rich-

That's what I thought. The embellishments on the domes actually aren't flutes as flutes run longitudinally (in this case, vertically). These are bands or rings. I don't know if this nomenclature is a customary thing or simply a misunderstanding. I have never heard the rings called flutes before.
                                                                                                                                                                                                        -- D

Jim Banner

After reading many definitions of 'fluted,' 'fluting' etc., it seems that the common thread among them is 'fluted' = 'multiply grooved,' with no distinction between longitudinal grooves, circumferential grooves, or grooves following the longitude lines of a sphere.  The key is that fluting is multiple grooving.  In none of the definitions does fluting include rings or bands.  Nor did the the term 'fluted dome' meaning a dome with bands or rings appear in anything other than model railroad descriptions.

I suspect that someone, somewhere, thought that because some domes had both flutes and bands, all domes with bands were 'fluted domes' and used this in a catalogue description.  As modelers, most of us are so used to seeing and hearing this corruption that we understand it, although it is hard for some of us old guys to accept it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Steam is King

Hey guys,

I appreciate all the comments but I think y'all missed what I was asking. I wanted to know if the spare domes, oil bunker, and different parts come with the undecorated Baldwin. I know that the diagram sheet shows all those parts, but I wanted to know what actually came with the undecorated version. I really like the Great Northern version, but if those parts come with the undecorated then I can go that route. If I have to repaint the GN version I will, but I'd rather go the undecorated route.

So the question remains, what spare parts come with the undecorated Baldwin version?

Thanks,

Manny

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Steam is King on October 24, 2011, 02:54:41 AM
Hey guys,

I appreciate all the comments but I think y'all missed what I was asking. I wanted to know if the spare domes, oil bunker, and different parts come with the undecorated Baldwin. I know that the diagram sheet shows all those parts, but I wanted to know what actually came with the undecorated version. I really like the Great Northern version, but if those parts come with the undecorated then I can go that route. If I have to repaint the GN version I will, but I'd rather go the undecorated route.

So the question remains, what spare parts come with the undecorated Baldwin version?

Thanks,

Manny

My undecorated Baldwin 4-4-0 came with a separate little plastic bag that included a set of domes that look like the type used in the 1870s and 1880s (you could hunt up a photo of one of the Viriginia & Truckee's Baldwin 4-4-0s--the real engines, but the Rivarossi models would do in a pinch--which were built between 1872 and 1875 to see what I mean). The box also included an additional set of tender trucks and an extra pilot truck. There was also an oil bunker.

The bell was in the bag with the extra domes. There doesn't seem to be a predrilled mounting hole on the boiler to install the bell. I wish there were room for the bell between the stack and the sand dome; it seems intended to go between the steam dome and the cab.

I'd install those "banded" domes if I could figure out how to remove the "smooth" domes that came on the engine, but I'm scared to death to try to modify these engines for fear of breaking something an ruining the appearance.

hotrainlover

I just purchased the GN version.  It HAS extra sand domes, wheel sets, and several small parts.  The other sand domes are Painted with GN on them also. 
Thanks Bachmann!!

ALCO0001

Hello,
I just got my 4 4 0 also !Very good Bachmann!Ihave extra parts with mine even a bag of cinders ,but no chain ,the hangers or brackets are on the tender .Is the chain an option per road name?I have the Great Northern.Also was wondering how to get the cab off ,there is a line and what looks  like a air tank in the way of the screw ,kind of hesitant ,Are they press on parts????Like to add a little weight  in the cab roof and where ever else an oz will do!
Jack