News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Motor for 2-10-0 Russian

Started by banjobob184, July 09, 2007, 10:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banjobob184

Have been trying to obtain a Can motor for the Bachmannn   2-10-0, but cannot get through their phone nor answer's to my request via the e-mail for parts. I have had it for less than a year so it should be under warrenty.
Any one out here in Train Land have any suggestions as to how to make contact with Bachmann

Thanks
PS the motor is dead , will only turn over very slow , but did not damage the Decoder in the tender.

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
Call the 215 number and ask for Bridget, the service manager.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

banjobob184

Thanks Bach-man , but do dice . I spoke with Jenny, who will not sell me a motor as I must put it back together and mail it into Bachmann with $20.00 and they will repair it.  If they can repair it , why can they not sell me a motor. I do not wish to put this engine back together, as it will cost ore than $20,00 to ship bothways. A very poor setup in my opinion.
  I'm very discouraged with Bachmann regarding purchasing or should I say trying to purchase parts.
Therefore is there a place other than Bachmnn that I can purchase a motor.

Bob

GN.2-6-8-0

Lets look at it this way: you send them your locomotive plus $20 plus shipping, say another$20.... for this you are going to probably get a brand new locomotive.
How's that a bad thing?
Or buy another one and place your older one on the side till you can find a motor for it...then you'd have two. ;D
Rocky Lives

jsmvmd

Dear Friend,

You can also check out a Helix Humper for a premium motor you can install yourself. I intend to get one for my Bowser USRA light Mike kit that I plan to assemble this year.  It was recommended to me by a board member, perhaps Joe Satnik, as a very good one.

Best Wishes,

Jack

lanny

Hi Jack,

The Helix Humper is indeed a great motor as you have pointed out. I have one in a Bowser Pennsy 2-10-0 and it is absolutely incredible the smoothness and quietness of this locomotive now (as opposed to the old DC-71 open frame motor). Plus, with the HH, as I understand it, the locomotive could now become a DCC unit if desired.

OTH, Jack, I don't think the Helix Humper will work in a Bachmann 2-10-0. I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am. But my 'limited' understanding of the Spectrum mechanism is that the gearing is encased inside a cast metal chassis that is in halves.

I think Mr. Bach Man might have previously warned against taking apart the chassis (though a good mechanical person could probably do it), because it is difficult to get back together properly.

I have looked at the chassis of the 2-8-0 as well as the 2-10-0 and frankly I don't see where an HH would fit, though I agree with you, it would be a wonderful motor if it could be made to fit.

banjobob184, I sure hope you can get things worked out, but I don't think shipping will be $20.00. The 2-10-0 is a light weight locomotive. Plus, as has been mentioned, you will receive a new locomotive which has a much, much higher retail price. I encourage you to follow Mr. Bach Man's advice and send it in, if that is what "Jenny' suggested.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Bojangle

Banjo:

I never attempt service on anything still in warranty, other than some minor tweaking.  If your loco is in warranty, it should cost you a max of about $10 for ground UPS or Fedex.  Look at it this way, if you've had the loco for 10 months, and it costs you $40 to get it fixed, that's only $4 a month.  It's a matter of perspective.

I suppose you could just wait until the warranty expires, then order a new motor from Bachmann.  I can understand why they won't sell the motor while the unit is still in warranty.
Bo

SteamGene

If a Bachmann locomotive is still in warranty, it will cost you the price of postage to send it back.  Bachmann pays return postage.  You will need proof of purchase, of course.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jsmvmd

Dear Lanny,

I did not check the HH site to see if they offer a Spectrum 2-10-0 motor. I offered that to Bob as an option. When I get time I will browse the HH site to see if they offer an motor for this little beastie. I have not taken apart many of these things, so was not familiar with the caveats re the 2-10-0. Thanks for the heads up!  The Bowser guy told me I could isolate the DC-71 motor for DCC operation with a $1 part available from Bowser, but I think I will get a HH instead. Glad to hear the good news from you. Now I am EAGER to do it!!

Best Wishes,

Jack

lanny

Jack,

Please let me know what your research on the HH for Bachmann locomotives discovers. I would be very interested in knowing.

One other thing, Banjo and all ... Just  to reiterate the excellent point that Gene mentioned. It's critical. in order to get the excellent warranty service from Bachmann, that if at all possible you keep your sales receipts!

lanny nicolet

jsmvmd

Dear Lanny,

Here is a Bowser link to trade in the old DC-71  motor for a DCC friendly upgrade:

http://www.bowser-trains.com/hoother/motors.pdf

I do not think there is a HH replacement motor for the 2-10-0, unfortunately.  I found a link for a service in PA, I think that installs the HH for a nominal fee and ensures that it works.  If Mr. B. or Hunt will allow, I will post the link with telephone number, and there is a fee displayed.

If not please contact me via e-mail for the link.

Best Wishes,

Jack

lanny

Eddystone Locomotive Works also installs HH motors, specially in Bowser chassis .  www.eddystonelocomotives.com

lanny nicolet