News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoke Fluid Amount

Started by chieffan, October 20, 2011, 09:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chieffan

New to large scale.  Purchased an NOS Bachmann 10 wheeler (Latest run) with smoke unit.  No manual or paperwork with it.  Question is: "How much fluid is it safe to add to an empty smoke unit without running it over?"  Learning a ton off this site and have a long way to go yet.
Chieffan

Sleeping Bear

the instructions say to use 3-4 drops, no mention of max amount. A lot of info can be found in the parts and service area. parts break downs and instructions for many things. Here is a link to speed things up a little     http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/Big_Hauler_Instructions.pdf  these are for the set but the info for the locomotive and its smoke system is in there....Hope this helps...Later All.....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

chieffan

Hi SB and thanks for the reply and the info.  Will check that link out now and see what I can find out.  Later.  Rog
Chieffan

botangles

I've heard from forums 7 or 8 drops is okay but don't go over 10 drops or the well will overflow causing problems. I've personally used 8 drops, will last about 4 to 5 laps for a layout 8' x 25' at medium speed, don't go too fast when using the smoke, not good for the smoke unit. Keep an eye on that smoke, if it stops add more fluid or turn off your smoke unit or the unit will burn out. Very fickle, but if your careful should serve you well. Have fun!

chieffan

Have been into HO for several years and the Seuth smoke units were very picky also.  Bachmann made some for their lower end locos that were square and did not have the burn out problem.  Have to finish the track before I can run anything.  Maybe tomorrow afternoon if it warms up some.
Chieffan