News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

converting the 4-6-0

Started by Royce Wilson, October 22, 2011, 11:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Wilson

Has anyone in this thread converted the Bachmann 4-6-0 to Proto 48 or standard gauge?

Royce

Jim Banner

I for one am trying to figure out why you would do this.  As I see it, you would end up with a locomotive with the wheels sticking out each side by about 5/16".  Then you would have to widen out the frame and the running boards and probably the cab to keep it from looking silly.  What you would have at that point would be standard gauge in width but not in height and would have a very small boiler for the overall size.

Or would you use just the modified mechanism and build a complete new body and frame?  The tread width of the wheels would be very narrow for 0 standard gauge - how would they be for P-48?

Might it be easier in the long run to build your own mechanism based on parts and assemblies from NorthWest Short Line?  Or if you are just casting about for a project, how about modifying an H0 4-6-0 into an 0n30 one?  Just some thoughts for you.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Royce Wilson

The Bachmann engine is large for narrow gauge so converting it to Proto 48 should look right(no tin plate here) in real life the D&RG did this with C-16's till they took stock of orderd standard gauge engines and there is photos of the Southern Iron in Atlanta doing this.

Royce

Royce Wilson

I think this would work out to around 13 1/2 scale inches to widen the gauge and of course the cylinders and frame have to be worked out also.

Royce

ksivils

There are numerous examples of narrow gauge locomotives being standard gauged. Also, there is a tiny Pacific that is standard gauge that operates on a tourist line somewhere. It was billed as the tiniest standard gauge 4-6-2 ever built.

Also, if you look at catalogs of say, Porter or Baldwin, you will find model types of locomotives that could be built to a variety of gauges from the stock design.

What would be a large 3 ft. locomotive is a small standard gauge locomotive and for the line who ordered it, they might be looking for light axle loadings, light traffic, etc, and need that size of a locomotive even though the line is standard gauge.

Original standard gauge locomotives were pretty small by later standards.

I think this would be an interesting project and a relatively "inexpensive" way to wind up with a Proto:48 4-6-0 rather than going with a brass locomotive.

Royce Wilson

I think I have talked myself into doing this and I will post photos of the results. I have a small amount of space on my narrow gauge empire for a interchange and this seems to be better that paying for expensive brass.

Royce

ebtnut

For all intents and purposes, the HO scale wheel and flangeway standards of On30 are equivalent to P:48.  They also match the On3 standards, too.  Widening the engine to P:48 standard gauge will entail widening the cylinder block, getting new axles for the drivers and pilot truck, and likely having to insert some type of frame widening to keep the drivers in line.  The tender may need to be replaced/widened to accommodate the S.G. trucks.  Be advised that any standard gauge rolling stock will of course need P:48 wheelsets installed too.

kcsivils1

Does Grandt Line offer a frame widening kit for the 4-6-0 to be widened to On3 like it has for a couple of other On30 locomotives? Use the Grandt castings with sheet styrene laminated to create the necessary width for P:48. I'll bet NWSL would fabricate some custom axles for a price - though it probably won't come too cheap.

I really want to see what your finished locomotive looks like Royce!

david coates

It would be great if Bachmann/Williams would come with a small std. gauge 4-6-0 or 2-8-0 in O scale easily convertable to P48.  Then no conversions would be needed.

David Coates