News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Changing tenders on Spectrum 2-10-2

Started by Limey, October 26, 2011, 07:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey

Hi guys,
              Recently bought a Spectrum 2-10-2 ( Sealand ) with sound and thought I would hook it up to the same model of loco ( C.N. ) but for some reason it will not work.

Since the decoders are located in the tenders and the signals are sent to the loco
I thought that as long as you use the correct address it should work.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks Limey.

P.s.   to richg.  I have uncovered my E.mail  add. now, could you send me the instructions for installing decoders in a Mehano  4-6-2 Pacific.

Thanks again.

rogertra

It's the circuit board that's important, not the tender.  Unfortunately, Bachmann can't seem to standardise on one circuit board and one pin arrangement.

This has been discussed numerous times here.

The easiest solution is to keep the circuit board with the engine when you change tenders.

If you change tenders, take the circuit board from the original tender and place it in the "new" tender.

jonathan

I have to agree with rogertra.  

I do not understand the reason for having to transplant circuit boards, but the only way I have been able to get my steamer locos to respond correctly was to trade the tender circuit boards when switching tenders.

As with all the previous threads mentioned, some have been able to successfully trade tenders without switching the boards.  This is a mystery which has not been solved to date, at least in my mind.

In my case, I switched the rectangular long tenders on Heavy Mountains, substituting them with long Vandy Tenders.  The locomotives would run without switching the circuit boards, but they would not run 'correctly' for lack of a better word.  After switching the circuit boards, the locomotives ran fine; same as before the tender swap.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:  After reading the OP question, I may have missed the mark.  Were you really trying to double-head the locomotives with no response?
jv

Limey

Thanks guys,
                      No I was not trying to double head, I got the Seaboard at a very good price and everything works great but since my theme is C.N. I thought it would just be a matter of hooking the Seaboard tender with the sound decoder in it to the C.N. and then just change the top shell of the tenders from Seaboard to C.N. but alas not so.  It seems you are both correct the wiring connections btn. the locos and their tenders are set up differently.  I guess I will have to re-herald the Seaboard to C.N..

Cheers,  Limey.

richg

A couple of years ago I tried to put the USRA medium tender behind my Spectrum 4-6-0 and had to use the two short wire/plug adapters that came with the tender. All six wires are swapped when doing this. I had to switch all six wires in the tender and add a 1k resistor for the LED headlight.

Rich