News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rail removal

Started by darryl1936, October 25, 2011, 04:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darryl1936

Someone just might have the answer?  Is it fairly easy to remove the steel rail and replace it with nickel silver rail on the the EZ roadbed ?? 

Seems like there is not too much demand for the steel rail EZ roadbed as the prices are pretty soft and I have a lot of N-S rail.

Anyone ?   Aloha TOF in Hawaii

Jerrys HO

darryl

I have removed the rails on pieces to modify the roadbed and I can tell you it's time consuming if you have a lot of track to do. Slide the rail carefully through the PLASTIC spikes. Try not to lift or twist as these will break.  I never tried it on radius pieces so I can not tell you if it will work or not. If I had many pieces I would not waste my time.
Next question is will the ties from another brand work? I think if you stay with code 100 it should.

Jerry

darryl1936

Thanks Jerry    I kind of thought is was not too hard to do but then I wanted to make sure that someone came back with "it's not a good idea"..   I would only be changing straight sections so the new rail would or should not be any problem and I was thinking pulling out the steel rail shouldn't be any problem either. Of course I know it would best to take it slow and easy.  Cheers  TOF in Hawaii

thewvnetwork

What is your reason for doing this?  Would seem it would be worth it to just buy the Nickel Silver EZ-track, rather than go through the hassle.  I have "scrapped" a couple sections of EZ track before to use the rails for a trestle I was building, but found that it was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get the rails off without tearing up the ties.  The rails appear to be superglued to the ties from underneath, and would presumably make the track very weak of you put in the new rails...I figure there will be quite a few derailments.  Let us know how it turns out, though. 

Doneldon

darryl-

Pull from the rail joiner end. Once the first half-inch is free it will slide out pretty
easily. Insertion is harder but not onerously so. It's a good while you're watching
TV activity.
                        -- D

darryl1936

Well guys, I think I'll give it a try as I have lots of HO code 100 loose rail. Since the EZ black version has steel rail which is extremely fast rusting here on the Islands and doesn't sell for very much anyway, I"ll give it a whirl for what it is worth.  And my time is having fun being retired so what the hey?

I'll post a note here after I get started with this adventure.

Aloha, TOF