Requesting help/advice with public display

Started by Kat, July 09, 2007, 11:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrowsr

I realize I'm late to the party but wanted to add something to what the Duke said.  All the cars need to weigh the correct amount based upon their length.  The NMRA standard is 1 oz plus 1/2 oz for each inch of body length.  So a 40 foot car should weight 3.7 oz and a 50 foot car around 4.5 oz. 

I'm a volunteer at a large layout in KC and we have similar problems with the daily startup and stopping of the trains jerking them off the rails.  I'm thinking about momentum power packs to get them rolling more smoothly.

mabloodhound

I'm late too, but now that this has been brought back up, advice on track cleaning was: "a good cleaning car can't be beat, I use the one manufactured by Tony's Train Exchange, it's a little pricey but worth it. It has a tank for the cleaning fluid (I use Life Like also) and a foot to put a piece of cloth on or a piece of drywall sanding mesh".

Never, ever use any abrasive, sandpaper, etc. on your track.   It will create small micro scratches that will always cause a buildup of 'crud'.   Only use a clean cloth or Q tip and a mild cleaner like alcohol.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security