News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding sound to Bachman DCC onboard engines?

Started by atsf3751, October 02, 2011, 08:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atsf3751

I have 3 Bachmann FT locos with DCC factory installed, and would like to add sound to at least one.  What will I need to do to make this happen?

richg

A sound decoder and speaker, plus knowledge of installing decoders and speakers. This will not be plug and play.
How much do you want to pay? Starts about $50.00 up to about $150 per install.

Rich

ACY

I suggest you find some one who knows what they are doing, have them do the install for you, and you can take notes and video tape it so you know what to do in the future.

Jerrys HO

atfs

I agree with richg that adding sound can get expensive but if it's in the budget go for it. I have not added sound myself but have added a decoder for dcc conversion. I prefer to get the most out of modeling and do things myself. One good thing is Bachmann makes a nice low cost loco so if something was to go wrong it's cheap enough to buy another loco assuming your loco is one of the less expensive models. I would assume there are others who will help give you some advice if you are willing to take the plunge. I myself have never added sound but will one of these days. Never hurts to try and we might learn something, or figure out what ACY suggest.

Jerry

richg

When I see a question like this, I usually think the OP does not have much knowledge of DCC installs.
Below is a good link about DCC and sound. Store the link in Favorites. Look in Curriculum and the Installations link. Take your time.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

I have looked at the diagram for these locos and they have what is called a light board decoder. There are light board sound decoders available but possible speaker location in the Bachmann FT is not something I am familiar with.
I have done F units in other brands of locos.
Expect to pay at least $60 or more for parts alone.
I hope you have a multimeter and know how to use it. It will help determine where some wires connect to and Bachmann does not normally follow the recommended color codes for DCC.

I would also suggest doing a search in the Bachmann General and HO forums for ft dcc. You will see some experiences. I just did.

Rich

johnspat1

I've had excellent results with MRC Sounder (Sound only) Decoders.  They are easily installed with only two connections and have multiple sound options.  There are two types - steam  or diesel.

jward

not having an ft, i cannot say for sure. i've been tempted to get one but so far have resisted the urge....

that said, usually the best place to install a speaker is in the fuel tank area. the bachmann gp7 has a spot for a speaker already milled into the frame, and holes in the fuel tank cover as well. this would be a relatively easy install, and this locomotive would sound like an ft. perhaps that would be a good place to start. i suspect that installing sound in an ft wouldl require quite a bit of milling of the frame, which means a complete disassembly of the locomotive. you wouldn't want to get metal filings in the motor and gears....

professional installs get the job done right, but would easily cost more than the locomotive itself.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

$50 to $150 just to install a sound decoder?  Ouch!  I would think more in terms of building an FT sound dummy.  By removing the motor and gears from an FT-B unit, you have a large, roomy cavern into which it is easy to install a decoder and speaker.  And you have some spare parts for your FT-A's.  Not only that, but the now empty body is complete with 8-wheel pickup.  That means no wiring is required between units - just couple up to a powered unit and you have a two locomotive set, one powered, one with sound.  You can save a few bucks by using a sound only decoder, and if you buy one with speaker already attached, you have to connect only two wires - one red wire to the right side pickups and one black wire to the left side pickups.  So simple that you could install it in less time than it takes to deliver your locomotive to the installer and pick it up again.  Your reward for half an evenings work is what you save by doing it yourself.  That should be enough to buy a least one and maybe as many as 4 DCC equipped FT-A's or FT-B's, even after buying the non-DCC FT-B for the sound dummy.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

BHTraindriver

I have added sound to several Bachmann FT units.  It is not difficult, but it does take some preparation work.

I use an MRC 1862 decoder or one of their new 1909 decoders , but it should work with whatever decoder you want to use.

Step by step is as follows:

Remove the shell from the B unit.

Remove two screws from pc board. 

Gently push the pc board toward the back of the B unit.  (it does not matter which end of the chassis you pick, but I prefer to have the sound on the end nxt to the A unit.)  Then grind off the mounting peg (and headlight holder if necessary) to make the mounting surface for the speaker as flat as possible. 

Carefully grind off the back of the speaker enclosure until it fits below the shell of the locomotive.

Once you are certain that the speaker will fit under the shell, silicone it to the locomotive on the surface you just prepared.

Solder (A) the jumper wires between the pc board terminals for rear wheel pickups and the front wheel pickups making sure to include (B) the decoder inut wires on one end of the pc board.

Once your soldering is done, program the decoder and test the locomotive.  If it works, suspend the pc board in a tape cradle to keep it from rubbing and creating a short.  I use clear tape, but electrical tape might be just as good.

Put the shell on and you are done.

Its not going to be Broadway Limited or Proto sound, but it works for me.

Airplanes are a way to cross the country, trains are a way to see the country.

richg

To BHTraindriver

Post pictures for those who might not be able to visualize on how you did this.

Rich