N scale Boston & Maine decals for a steam engine

Started by PMB91181, October 18, 2011, 09:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PMB91181

I was wondering if anyone here knew of any good place online to get decals, I tried google and can not find Boston & Maine road name decals for a steam engine of the 1940-50s era. I am trying to get my Bachmann 0-6-0 switchter to look like the switcher 0-6-0 number 410 on display in Lowell Mass. Any help would be apperiated thanks.

Patrick

Albert in N

Unfortunately, I also share your concern for a lack of N scale train decals.  Although I do not model B&M, I suggest you Google "Boston & Maine Railroad Historical Society" and try the links.  Nearly every prototype railroad has a related organization of fans, including many who are model railroaders.  They may be able to help you.   I have found a few decal vendors at train shows who sometimes can help me with my interests.  My main concern now is a lack of diesel number board decals.  Almost 3 years ago, I bought a new Bachmann Spectrum F-7 AB diesel set with Southern Pacific "black widow" paint scheme.  It was missing number board numbers (like all Bachmann F units).  I had to take silver numbers from a MicroScale SP passenger car decal set for adding the numbers to my F units.  Older N locomotives also usually need decal embellishment.  Usually, I have numbers in my old decal stash.  MicroScale is about the only current source that I know, but often does not have exactly what I need.   Some older brands (Champ and Walthers) no longer offer decals.  Modern silk screened factory paint jobs with high quality finish have taken a toll on decals.  Good luck and keep hunting.  Somewhere there may be B&M classic steam locomotive decals in N.

Paul Kremer

Hello Patrick,

I'm new to this forum. Visit it on a regular basis as an 'anonymus' and felt the need to join the club after reading your question.  I'm a B&M modeler from Netherlands (yes, they do exist!) and I have quite an extensive collection of maroon&gold, black, white&blue and solid black Boston&Maine locomotives. Steamers included. Most of them are painted and decaled by myself. There's a great source for N-scale B&M decals. For N-scale steam engines too. Try this: www.mgdecals.com. These are great decals - if handled with care. Check their site -  and their service is superb. Another option is to try and find a set of Microscale decals, #60-984 (B&M switchers, black). The Boston&Maine herald, used on steamers, is there as well as is most of the lettering. They're quite hard to find.
I'd go for the mgdecals set: fine product and it has the small lettering, used on the back of the tender too.
Good luck!
Paul

absnut

I use Highball Graphics decals for all my B&M steamers.