News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tinkering with the new 0-6-0 (DCC)

Started by jonathan, November 04, 2011, 11:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

Quote from: Smokestack on November 06, 2011, 01:41:01 PM
I have a Bachmann 0-6-0 Pennsy  with tender and smoke, but My hobby store just told me it is too small to install the Dcc conversion Kit.
You obviously have the knowledge about this sort of thing. I was directed to this site from another forum to see if you might suggest the type of decoder I might install. Do you think it is just too costly for the hobby stores mechanic to justify the installation on this unit? can it be done ?

If the stall current for your 0-6-0 is at all reasonable (below about 1.5 amps at 12 volts) then a Digitrax DZ125 decoder would be a good choice.  These tiny decoders are smaller than a dime, will handle 1 amp continuously, and have two lighting outputs.  If I were installing one, I would not try to run the smoke unit as well as the motor with this decoder but you could run the smoke unit off the rails via an on/off switch if you insist on smoke.  This decoder is compatible with Digitrax's Sound Bug, a generic sound module.  If space is really at a premium, and you want sound, you could always mount the decoder in the locomotive's cab and put the sound bug and speaker in the tender.

I suspect the hobby shop's installer does not want to do this conversion because it would be a little harder and take a bit more time than normal, but I cannot see it being one of those installations where you spend a full day sweating blood to get the job done.  If it were an 0-6-0T and you were insisting on sound, that would be a different matter.

on30gn15's comment gave me a good laugh.  For those that are unfamiliar with the N-scale GE 44 tonner that he gave us a link to, that locomotive already comes with a decoder on board.  What to one person might seem impossible may be routine for another.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

NMWTRR

Glad to hear about recovering the Mantua 0 4 0 from the Katrina flood.

I suspect since they were so heavy it helped to make better connection to rails.

They are also pretty simple to access the components and my 0 6 0 runs pretty good after installing a yardbird motor.

I have three more looking at converting to DCC.

0 6 0 little 6 tank engine

4 6 0 Rogers

and a 4 4 0 General.

pdleth

Very nice job as usual. Just be careful with the neolube around the drivers that have isulation on the tires like mantua or bowser locos. a quick scrap with an exacto blade will insulate the wheel again as neolube is very conductive.

DaveMFnC

So....

The new versions of these locos DON'T pick up power from the frame halves? I'm confused.
Getting back into the hobby, one guitar sale at a time ;)

jonathan

Dave,

There are phosphor bronze pick up wipers on the newer versions.  The wipers pick up current from the backs of the wheels.  THEN the current is transferred to the frame halves.  This makes construction of the driver wheels much easier, by eliminating the split axle drivers.  Also, the current is transferred in a more direct manner to the motor or decoder or smoke unit, etc.  These little guys run better than their previous versions.  Although, I have gotten the older versions to run better, by adding pick up to the tenders.

The 0-6-0 on your right is a 2002 version, with the split axles and direct frame pick up;

Will get around to replacing the dummy coupler as soon as I find my rountuit.

Regards,

Jonathan